See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Stretch To One of Two Points?

Login to Give a bone

Question Stretch To One of Two Points?

Very new to dynamic blocks, apologies if this is an overly simple question,

I've created a dynamic block for note call outs. I have two circles, each with an attribute centered in it, and a leader coming from the center of first circle.
    I have a point (position1) with a stretch action so that I can point the leader anywhere.
    Now for the part I can't figure out.
    I want the base of the leader to stretch between position2 or position3, but it has to be a stretch action so that the tip of the leader(position1) isn't affected.
    I can add a stretch action, but I can't figure out how to restrict where it ends up.

I've attached the block below, to clarify my question.

Thanks in advance.

block.jpg
    Attached Files Attached Files

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Stretch To One of Two Points?

Hi,

I wasn't able to open your block as the file is newer than my 2016 version. However you could accomplish this stretch with a linear parameter and a stretch action. The start location of the linear isn't all that important, an even distance from position2 would work, then set the end of it at position 2. Now add the stretch action to this parameter, select the appropriate window and object (leader) Now we'll go back to the parameter to make it only allow two positions. In the properties of the parameter you should see a spot for the "Dist type", change it from None to List. In the cell below should be that even distance dimension used in placing the parameter. Select the right end of that cell and a list window will open. Add the distance from the start point of the parameter to position3. Now the parameter can only have two values, one for the distance at position2 and one for position3.

In a different direction, I though the picture of the block looked a lot like a multileader so I threw together a sample in the attached file. The style has a 'user defined' block. Its a simple block with two circles and two attributes. The leader attaches a little differently than in your posted pic but there is some built in functionality gained by making it a multileader. The leader will automatically re-attach to the other end of the circles when the block or leader point is moved, it will accept multiple leaders and can be annotativly scaled. Just something for thought.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Stretch To One of Two Points?

Both these options are fantastic.
    The walk through on the linear with stretch is perfect, I was able to easily walk through it with your instruction and now I can use it other blocks too.
    Thanks for the help!