Thread: Make part of Family Un-Selectable

Login to Give a bone

Default Make part of Family Un-Selectable

Working on my standard door families. Have added ADA clearance parameters (symbolic lines, plan view only) tied to yes/no for visibility. That part - easy/peezy.
    The problem; which is more of an annoyance that I would like to eliminate; is that doors become highlighted (pre-selected) whenever the cursor is nowhere near the actual door. Seems that Revit is picking up the symbolic lines even though they may be turned off. This makes selecting other elements harder and forces more use of the tab key.

I've tried setting the symbolic lines (and reference planes) to "weak reference" and "no reference" to no luck. Is there any way to turn off the auto-select for those lines only? Obviously I still need to be able to select the door.

Any help is appreciated. I've searched forums and can't find this particular issue discussed.

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Make part of Family Un-Selectable

Sorry, no. The visible extent of the family is what is seen by the cursor in the project environment, by Revit. I don't recall if it is an existing wish list (Revit Ideas) or not. It would be helpful to be able to define such response into a family.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

The only solution I can think of is to make the ADA clearance parameters shrink down to almost nothing if you have the visibility parameter turned off.This would decrease the 'bounding box' associated with the family so it doesn't get in the way.
    If the actual bounding box dimensions are parameters you could use if statements to control their sizes.
    ADA depth = if(ADA Visibility, 4', 2")
    ADA width = if(ADA Visibility, 6', 2")

Login to Give a bone

Our doors have a 3d Box associated with them for each ADA Accessible options that you can select. They're a nested generic model. Not the easiest thing in the world to sort thru, but if it's set to none, you don't see it and you can't select it because it's not actually there. That family also has some symbolic lines in it for plan representation.
    They work really well for us.
    Another option as it was suggested above, it to make the lines start under the door jamb and adjust them from there. So if there's no ADA option is selected or required it matches the size of the door frame at the jamb and sits under it. Makes things a little more complex, but shouldn't be to hard to do.