Thread: Parametric Arrays with Lines

Login to Give a bone

Question Parametric Arrays with Lines

I am beyond frustrated at this moment.

I have read many posts about parametric arrays and yet it still doesn't work. I am simply trying to make a Sealant and Backer Rod family that flexes nicely. I have all the reference planes ready, but the line work is not working. I first had to research how to lock and flex arcs, but I can't even get a straight line to flex once it is arrayed. I have parameters for the number of copies and the spacing, but when I change the width of the joint, the constraints break and the lines don't flex. Initially, they also shifted at an angle, but I understand the second array needs to be aligned and locked to the first. Now ... I am not using a separate nested family ( these are just lines to represent sealant; it would be overkill to create a family of just a line ), so I am locking the ends of the first and second arrayed line to the appropriate reference planes. However, every time I flex the family, only one side stays put and I have to remove constraints in the error window. If I can get the straight line to work, I can then test if the arc will work. Attached is a JPG of what I am going after. It is basic. Everyone has a Sealant and Backer Rod family. Ours just doesn't flex for different joint widths and depths.
    Attached Images Attached Images

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Parametric Arrays with Lines

When arraying elements in families it is best to make the element you want to array (one curve) in a separate family and then nest it into the host family where you can then array it. See attached for how I would do this.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by marmiketin; 2017-12-01 at 02:11 PM.

Login to Give a bone

It just seems crazy to have to create another separate family for just a line. Surely, Revit, as a sophisticated program, can handle it without having to nest a family made up of just a single line. Well, at least I am not crazy; you are aware of these issues too. Thanks for the reply and the attachments. Perhaps, there is someone out there that has found some other hard-to-find way of accomplishing it all within a single family. Till then ... It appears I must make a family with a single line!

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

The issue has to do with reference planes in families. In order to constrain elements you need to lock them to reference planes. When arraying you then need to array some of these reference planes so as to keep the constraints. Revit simply does not like to array elements in families that have multiple reference planes associated. Radial arrays are even more difficult often having to have 3 or more nesting levels.

Login to Give a bone

Well, that begins to make sense ... from a computer programming / database point-of-view. An array tries to copy the reference planes along with the original element. It's unfortunate that so much of Revit requires computer programming knowledge rather than architectural expertise. I am a huge supporter of collaboration amongst a team, no hierarchy. The "designer" can draw. The "architect" can draw. The "technician" can draw. It will be interesting, as time progresses, how much the divide between the "architects", "designers", and Revit "technicians" will grow in our profession. Autodesk seems to be potentially driving the team apart. Sorry to get theoretical.