See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Exporting drawings into PDF with editable text fields/forms

Login to Give a bone

Default Exporting drawings into PDF with editable text fields/forms

Hey all,

I ask for a much coveted solution from you. At work the company has us include inventory and scheduling information on the drawings that we export and send to account managers in PDF. If account managers change inventory and scheduled dates, they have to run to us to to get the information changed on the drawing and re-exported in PDF. This isn't optimal.

Instead, account managers should be able to type in dates and inventory data on a completed drawing exported into PDF, since the drawing itself does not change.

Can such functionality be achieved in AutoCAD? Any alternative solutions that can be automated?

Insight is appreciated.

Thanks!

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Exporting drawings into PDF with editable text fields/forms

Use a database with data links within your drawing. They could update the database before PDF creation and you could update the drawing with the new information. You may find an old AU course that deals with data links.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Opie View Post
    you could update
    That defeats the purpose. Yes, of course I can update the drawing, that's the inefficient way. Every solution must not involve me after I finished the drawing and exported it to PDF.

Login to Give a bone

How to create selectable and searchable text in a PDF from AutoCAD 2015 and earlier:

Issue:
    When converting a drawing to PDF from AutoCAD, text in the PDF is not selectable or searchable in your PDF viewer/editor and you would like to know how to accomplish this.
    Causes:

An SHX font has been used for the text. SHX fonts are rasterized (i.e., become a graphic image) when plotted to PDF.
    The PDF was created by AutoCAD for Mac, in which case both SHX and TTF fonts are raterized during the PDF creation.

Solution:
    The following are the main things look for in order to create selectable and searchable text in a PDF from AutoCAD:

Use a TrueType font.
    Do not alter the text from the original font, such as changing width (must be 1.0) or other style options.
    Make sure the Z coordinate value of the text is zero.

TrueType Fonts
    Starting with AutoCAD 2015, change the variable PDFTEXTRENDER to 1. This should allow AutoCAD to characterize TrueType text in a PDF even if it has had formatting applied to it that would normally prevent it. Alternatively, and for older versions, changing text objects so that they have no Z coordinate can be done by using the Express Tools command FLATTEN or by selecting the text and changing the Z value in the Properties palette to zero. Additionally, the following may accomplish this:

At the command line in AutoCAD, enter DVIEW and then select all in your drawing.
    Enter PO (POints).
    Type in 0,0,0 for the target point.
    Type in 0,0,1 for the camera point.

If may be necessary to select the "Capture All" option in the DWG To PDF.pc3 properties:

In the plot window, select DWG To PDF.pc3 for the printer.
    Click the Properties button.
    In the Custom Properties section, click the Custom Properties button.
    Click the "Capture All" option under Font Handling.
    Click OK to dismiss the DWG to PDF Properties dialog.
    Click OK to dismiss the Plotter Configuration Editor.
    Click OK to confirm changes to the PC3 Plotter Configuration file.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by whackoprogrammer760234 View Post
    That defeats the purpose. Yes, of course I can update the drawing, that's the inefficient way. Every solution must not involve me after I finished the drawing and exported it to PDF.
    I wasn't referring to actually editing the text after inventory changed. I was referring to the data links updating the information within the drawing. Yes, it would require you to open and print the drawing again. No, it is not the solution you wanted. However, I am not familiar enough with PDF to provide a solution within that software that I feel you were requesting.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt