See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Xref Repathing Utility

Login to Give a bone

Question Xref Repathing Utility

Hello all,

A few years ago, I worked for a company that changed the name of it's servers and thus we had to repath all of the external reference paths. At the time, we found a 3rd party program that could do entire batches by selecting the project folders (the program located the dwg files) and basically do a remove/replace with the paths (S:\123456 to S:\100000 series\123456). It had some size limitations but could easily handle 50-100 dwg files at a time in a matter of a few minutes. Unfortunately, when I searched online for the same program it hasn't been updated since 2012.

My new company is going to synchronized servers across offices and I am currently using the Reference Manager but am finding it to be too slow and clunky - maybe I am using it wrong. I want to be able to select a series of projects and change from I:\123456 to I:\1\123456. Another unfortunate situation is that not everyone saves xrefs to the same folders or even similar naming convention (as part of this process we are going to default project folders to help with housekeeping). Any suggestions for a 3rd party program?

Thanks
    Michael

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Xref Repathing Utility

Hi,
    We’re using Reference manager and it works well. We generally don’t use “ Add all xrefs” option. Rather we choose “Add only the first-level xrefs” and process each level in a separate cycle.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the reply, Ali.

I thought about your response and went back to review how I was using the Reference Manager ... I was not using it correctly for the purpose I needed.
    I am now using the Find and Replace instead of the Edit Selected Path, and it is performing the way I need. I can now change a batch of files that are not in the same xref folder location but are under the same project folder.

Thanks again,
    Michael

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Mhilde75 View Post
    Thanks for the reply, Ali.

I thought about your response and went back to review how I was using the Reference Manager ... I was not using it correctly for the purpose I needed.
    I am now using the Find and Replace instead of the Edit Selected Path, and it is performing the way I need. I can now change a batch of files that are not in the same xref folder location but are under the same project folder.

Thanks again,
    Michael
    Thanks for taking the time to update this thread with what worked for you. I'm sure future users will appreciate the information.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost