Thread: Civil Project Directory Naming Convention

Login to Give a bone

Default Civil Project Directory Naming Convention

Hello AUGI CAD Managers,

Do you have a preferred directory naming convention for civil design projects, that is a project drawing set folder organization system? Idea is to use this as a template for all new projects.

Background:

“…identify the project folder so that files can be shared with all users. The next level of subfolders could consist of names identifying the progression of the project files according to their development phase.”
    National CAD Standard - V6: Uniform Drawing System - Module 1 - Drawing Set Organization (https://www.nationalcadstandard.org/ncs6/uds/mod1_5.php)

1PREDES - programming and predesign phase
    2SCHEM - schematic design and concept phase
    3DESDEV - design and development phase
    4CONDOC - construction document phase
    5CONTRAC - constract submittal phase
    6RECORD - record document phase
    7FACMAN - facility management phase

but the NCS favors architecture over civil design. So here is my first attempt:

Parent Directory: 17001-NorthPark (project number is YY followed by 3 digit autonumber - then shortened project name)
    Subdirectories:
    Docs-Applications-Grants
    Docs-Bid (engineers cost estimate, bid tabulation, notice of award, EJCDC boilerplate contract documents, ...)
    Docs-Construction (stuff after design)
    Docs-Office (save project manual here, project schedule, policies & procedures, ...)
    Docs-Geotech
    Docs-Planning
    Docs-Research (pictures of site visit, referenced standard drawings and specifications, referenced projects being connected to)
    DWG-Architect
    DWG-Blocks
    DWG-DataShortcuts
    DWG-Electrical
    DWG-Engineering (this one is big, drainage study, traffic study, offsite improvement plans, revisions, ...)
    DWG-Landscape
    DWG-Survey-ROW
    DWG-Survey-Topo
    GIS
    PDF-SheetSet
    PDF-Submittals

Thanks,

Jeff Jensen

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Civil Project Directory Naming Convention

Another example of Project Folder Structure comes from City of Las Vegas - ftp://ftp.lasvegasnevada.gov/Outboun...ual%20V1.0.pdf but I feel it goes to deep and difficult to find files, for example multiple PDF directories (just my opinion)

_Shortcuts
    Base Drawings
    Blocks
    - 2D
    - 3D
    Documents
    - Files In
    - Files Out
    - Transmittal
    - Admin
    - Redlines
    Engineering Drawings
    - Alignment
    - Corridor
    - Details
    - Exhibits
    - Pipe Networks
    - Profiles
    - Surfaces
    - Existing Ground
    - Proposed Ground
    GIS
    - DWG
    - LYR
    - Misc
    - MXD
    - PDF
    - SHP
    Reports
    - Plan Review
    Sheet Set
    - DWG
    - DWF
    - PDF
    Submittals
    - 30%
    - 70%
    - 90%
    - Bid Set
    - 99% Pre Final
    - 100% Final
    - PDF (Current Version)
    - Record Drawings
    Survey Drawings
    - Details
    - Exhibits
    - GPS Data
    - Mapping
    - Parcel Layout

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

I set my folders up a bit differently. I do not like the NCS way of organizing the file structure. My project folder looks like this:

100 - ADMIN (Proposal, Billing Related Information, SubConctractor, etc.)

200 - CADD (Inside the folder are the folloing subfolders) All Currenct DWG are placed in this folder outside of any subfolders.
    200 - Archive (Drawings Archived)
    201 - Plans From Others (Any Related information, CAD files, PDF, etc from any other organization outside of the company)
    202 - Images (Any images, shapefiles, etc. that need to be brought into the drawing).
    203 - Working (Basically a sandbox type folder to contain design elements or design calculations outside of the final project).
    204 - Xrefs (Any external reference drawings)
    205 - Data Shortcuts (For Data Shortcut loctions

300 - DOCS
    301 - Emails (Outlook pst. files)
    302 - Documents (Letters, Reports, etc.) 302A - Letters, 302B Reports
    303 - Transmittals

400 - Images (Project related images that do not need to be brought into a report or CAD)

500 - Survey
    501 - Research, 501A Tax Maps, 501B - Deeds, 501C - Filed Maps, 501D - Additional Maps, 501E - Titie Reports
    502 - Survey Data, 502A - Survey SIte Photos (Taken in the Field), 502B - Field Notes
    503 - Point Files
    504 - C3D Survey Database

600 - Deliveables

Login to Give a bone

Hello Iceberg,

thanks for sharing. Do the folder/directory numbers have any meaning such as tied to MasterFormat or something? Are the folder names in order of work done, that is 100 - ADMIN is the start of the project and 600 - Deliveables is end of the project?

Thanks,

Jeff

- - - Updated - - -

I did a search on au.autodesk.com and found this directory structure by Sam Lucido - No Sheet-You Can Do That with SSM in AutoCAD http://au.autodesk.com/au-online/classes-on-demand/class-catalog/classes/year-2015/autocad/gen9539#chapter=0

blocks
    client
    details
    images
    pdf
    template
    xrefs

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jjensen View Post
    Hello Iceberg,

thanks for sharing. Do the folder/directory numbers have any meaning such as tied to MasterFormat or something? Are the folder names in order of work done, that is 100 - ADMIN is the start of the project and 600 - Deliveables is end of the project?

Thanks,

Jeff
    Jeff,

You can set the directory up that way from start of the project to the end of the project and that folder structure might be different then how I have it setup.

I actually got the idea based on an article I read in AUGI Magazine. I wish I could remember the issue so that I could post a link but I cant seem to remember, and I apologize for that. I basically set up the folder structure based on what folders will I be using the most and used that idea for the structure. The only exception is the ADMIN folder because the job is setup with the proposal information first before the job is created.

I would say, if you like this idea, arrange the folders based on how your company operates. This way it is easy for your end users to navigate.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Iceberg View Post
    Jeff,

You can set the directory up that way from start of the project to the end of the project and that folder structure might be different then how I have it setup.

I actually got the idea based on an article I read in AUGI Magazine. I wish I could remember the issue so that I could post a link but I cant seem to remember, and I apologize for that. I basically set up the folder structure based on what folders will I be using the most and used that idea for the structure. The only exception is the ADMIN folder because the job is setup with the proposal information first before the job is created.

I would say, if you like this idea, arrange the folders based on how your company operates. This way it is easy for your end users to navigate.
    ---

I did a search on AutoCAD Civil 3D Forum and found this discussion

Civil 3D Folder structure - https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autoc...t/true#M264958

that gives another folder structure.

Regards,

Jeff Jensen