Thread: Could use an opinion from some professionals in the Architecture field.

Login to Give a bone

Default Could use an opinion from some professionals in the Architecture field.

Good Day Everyone,
    I was just recently highered at a design firm to assist in the Architecture department. one of my goals is to help establish a Revit family library and detail library. My question for the professionals in the Architecture field is, Do you think it is a good idea to create the generic 2D details such as top of wall, bottom of wall, door, window, where the roof meets the top of wall and so on and so for as Revit 2D line details? and why should I or shouldn't I?

I'm leaning to creating them in Revit 2016. My reasoning is, it will allow me or any other designer to load the detail in to any Revit project in 2016+ and change to their specific needs, with out having to redraw every single line.

thank you and I appreciate your responses.

Francis Smith

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Could use an opinion from some professionals in the Architecture field.

I would suggest using detail components vs lines. Lines you have to change on one off a one off basis or make groups which can bog down your model.
    We like to use detail components because you can make them parametric. You can also tag them with keynotes. Can't do that with line work.
    But yes we have lots of generic "typical" details that we use at a minimum as starting points.
    I would strongly suggest you don't take their existing cad details and explode them into line work. Revit really doesn't like that.
    You import the file, then use the pick tool to create Revit based lines. I'm also not a fan of using something like a type swapper tool to convert them either. Start with Native Revit Objects.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Could use an opinion from some professionals in the Architecture field.

Thanks for the response Dave,
    I'm sorry I should have been more clear, when I mentioned the lines, I was referring to the Detail components because the are 2 dimension details as posed to the 3 dimensional families. I'm just wondering whats the best way to create this library of larger details for example, a detail of a roof section I could use a corrugated roof decking section detail component, an open bar web joist detail component, rigid insulation section detail component and a heavy line weight detail line for the rubber roof membrane. creating a new family with the Detail Item line based template and using all those detail components to create a large detail family. I don't know if I'm explaining my self in the best possible way sorry.

Login to Give a bone

If I understand what you are trying to do correctly, we use drafting views, one for each standard detail. The Detail Components that Mr. Peterson mentioned are used to create the graphics in those drafting views. Our architectural detail library is organized by the six-digit specification section number (mostly); we have a "detail project" that holds the drafting views for the details for each specification section number. (We often use the more generic numbers, to encompass a greater range of possible details, rather than a specific section number.) That lets us set up sheets in those detail projects with our office standard detail title block, which also has additional "designer notes" directed to the in-house user of the detail, but which do not appear in the final detail. PDFs are generated of the details, with detail titleblock, compiled and made available so that details can be reviewed, chosen, marked up, etc., even by those not using Revit.

Once the project architect decides which details are needed in a particular project, the drafting views are easily brought into the project file using Insert > Import > Insert from File > Insert Views from File, and then filtering to Show drafting views only.

Login to Give a bone

3d Families can't be used in Drafting views, only detail views. Detail Views can't be copied from project to project, only drafting views can.
    There's a fuzzy gray line between which one you should use and for what.
    If they are typical details that don't really require dimensions based off the 3d models, drafting views are just fine (Say head and sill conditions). If they need to show placement of those parts and pieces in relationship back to a grid line, and have a dimension in the actual detail, they a detail view might be better.
    One thing we've started to do was to embed detail components into sweeps and other objects for exterior detailing. While this does increase model complexity and size, it helps our designers/detailers figure out where things really need to go which helps down the road when it comes to shop drawings and RFIs. I've always tried to direct my "Reviteers" to model anything that takes up space and will get in someones way. If model it, you have about a 95% chance of the rest of the design team understanding there's something they need to coordinate with. If you just show those thing in the details you'll have about a 50% chance of someone actually coordinating with it.
    But Mr Koch laid out a nice method. We have a similar method. I'd also suggest if creating a searchable pdf of that "Guide Detail" library so the non-Revit users can still help look at and point to a detail or something that you can use as a starter for new details.
    Hope this helps.