Thread: revit workflow for residential trusses

Login to Give a bone

Default revit workflow for residential trusses

what is the proper workflow for creating architectural building section with roof trusses shown. do you guys just draw it in using detail lines? i have some truss families but it is very time consuming to create complicated roofs.revit built in truss extension is pretty much useless as it only does simple single ridge roofs. just wandering how is everyone tackling this.

thanks

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: revit workflow for residential trusses

Personally I'd use Detail Lines. Or I'd show top Chord and Bottom Chord and provide a note. And I'd only do that if I was specifying a min depth to the TC or BC.
    The Trusses, Web Layout, Sizing and Plate Size are all going to be by someone else. Unless you're doing the actual truss design.
    Much better to put a note that you have trusses and provide minimal direction as to what they look like than draw something that looks like it's detailed and give someone the assumption that's what they actually are.
    Option B if you're working with a truss supplier and it's going to be single sourced, ask the supplier for some profiles.

I've gotten in trouble before doing open web joist building structures where we were showing the Revit Family based on the size we specified, and an MEP fabricator took those layouts as Gospel. We were just trying to show something. We knew the Depth and the Seat height. Everything else was up to what the Fabricators design.

Bottom line, what ever you show, make sure you note it as a "Graphical Representation Only - Final Layout by Truss Manufacturer" or something like that.

Login to Give a bone

I do something similar to David's method.

I model residential roofs with the shingles, sheathing & the top chord (here its usually a 2"x4"). The important thing is to get the
    top chord in the location you want/need it to be - to get the proper heel height for the truss manufacturer. Is it a standard heel height?
    Do you want a raised heel for more insulation over the top wall plate etc. I will usually dimension the heel height as well.
    The bottom chord and other info are detail components (insulation etc) in the section or soffit detail.
    I leave out the interior truss chords as David suggests, and leave it all to the truss guys.

Login to Give a bone

i made a line based detail item with a 2x- section detail component locked to the start and end reference planes. then just click and drag out the truss "line" in your project array or offset as needed. you can tag it too.

Login to Give a bone

Thank you for the post. Its helpful for me. I am a revit beginner.