Thread: UTILITY MAPPING

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default UTILITY MAPPING

Is anyone out there use map 3d for underground utility mapping and asset management?

Just wondering how well it does the job and what capabilities and pros/cons it may have.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: UTILITY MAPPING

About 15 years ago I did, it worked great for the mapping however the engineers didn't like it because it caused them to learn something new. The utility company switched over to a 3rd party app that ran on ESRI and I left to join a reseller doing Map3D support.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

what would be the workflow to create a shp file from a cad drawing with linework for lots, blocks for manholes, meters, valves, fire hydrants, etc., and civil3d cogo points for the x,y,z values.

the client is requiring a shp file with this info for their GIS system (arc gis).

Login to Give a bone

I use the MAPEXPORT command to create Shapefiles... We don't use ArcGIS, but this is needed to import everything into InfraWorks, which isn't able to read C3D DWGs natively (for all Objects, Labels, despite being developed by Autodesk?).

Cheers
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

do you create a separate shp file for all the linework? do the lots/parcels have to be closed polygons?

separate shp files for each item, i.e. manholes, valves, etc.?

how does it treat cogo points with x,y, and z.?

Login to Give a bone

Exporting them separately (by layer?) makes it easy to control how each is configured when I import them into InfraWorks... You should defer to your client's needs though.

Also, this may help: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/suppo...Elevation.html
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

utility plans are what we do. We import shape files from GIS to give us road centerlines and parcels. we import the parcels as closed polylines. We export the proposed utilities to shape files for clients. We make a separate shape file for each layer of proposed items. Such as: prop aerial, poles, anchors, handholes, buried fiber, bores, warning markers.
    our data is dumb though, there is not any info tied to it, it is just a block in ACAD.

Login to Give a bone

We have been using Map3D since 2011 as our GIS and asset management tool with an Oracle backend. We are a small/mid-sized electric utility. We use the electric industry model and have an automated process to import our GIS into CAD for engineering design. We also have a parallel process to import our CAD designs into GIS and then from GIS we push our data into our accounting asset management system. There are quite few tools to export different file formats depending on how you are using the GIS functions. If you use the electric or gas industry models on Oracle Spatial you can set up automated processes to export the data using Oracle tools, FME, etc.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

thanks for all the input. is there a naming convention, not client specific, but general for water and sewer mains? valves, hydrants, manholes, etc. or single entities that can have a unique identifier, something that seems to be very important in order to track each thing in a database or spreadsheet. has anyone had any experience with this? do you break the lines into segments, use the entire length, go from valve to valve. sewer isn't a problem, go from manhole to manhole, but the water mains are a little different. i have a ton of data that needs to associated with each part of this system.

suggestions and ideas are greatly appreciated.