Thread: Material Orientation - Realistic View

Login to Give a bone

Question Material Orientation - Realistic View

I have searched around this forum and have not found an answer to this question. This is in regard to materials showing correctly in Realistic camera views for presentation.

Is there a way to force a material to map consistently in one direction across multiple faces of an extrusion without adding a model pattern?

When I apply a wood material (obvious grain direction) to an extrusion, many times the material will show vertically on one face but on an adjacent face (even nearly coplanar adjacent faces) it is rotated 90 degrees. This can be fixed just by adding a model pattern to the material and doing no rotating of any textures, but why doesn't Revit orient textures this way without a model pattern?

I do not want a model pattern in the material because I do not want this pattern to show in plan / elevation views and I do not want to have to override these (sub)category patterns per view.

All AUGI, all the time DoTheBIM's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Material Orientation - Realistic View

See attached pic to explain how revit thinks in this regard. I created two rectangular extrusions and assigned a material to show oreintation. Only difference was where my first sketch line was located. Doesn't really help, and isn't really realistic to pay attention to where all your first sketch lines are, and it's very unrealistic to go back and redo a family to adjust the first sketch line with you've got things locked, constrained and joined to existing geometry. Revit will potentially throw all kinds of warnings at you for deleting stuff it was depending on. Sorry it's not much help other than giving a better understanding of what is happening.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Post Re: Material Orientation - Realistic View

I have noted also that editing a sketch and simply flipping the direction that a line is drawn in can effect the orientation of the material. I have done this by moving the end points of one line within the sketch loop so that endpoint A is now where endpoint B was and vice versa.

This may tie into how Revit draws the 3d face at a lower level that the programming ignores unless a model pattern is applied to the face.

It's good to understand this can be done but by the lack of response I guess most people just work around this bug.

I've attached 2 images that demonstrate the issue. In one there is no model pattern set to the material and none of the faces were previously rotated using a model pattern, but it shows the material rotated on adjacent faces. In the other image I have simply applied a model pattern to the material (a simple vertical line spaced every 20') and the material magically orients in one direction on all faces without doing any other editing.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

That is strange and annoying. I take it that the material reverts to 'random' orientation if you take the pattern back off? As a work around, can you create a custom model pattern that doesn't show up. A white vertical line every 30 metres might be fine, or create a PAT file with just a dot or tiny tick every x metres (don't know the limit but that might be 30 metres too) which should be very inconspicious. Just a thought

All AUGI, all the time DoTheBIM's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by barrie.sharp View Post
    That is strange and annoying.
    Annoying is putting it lightly, when your trying to produce a quality rendering... and you just discovered the problem after everything is modeled. I wouldn't classify it as a bug though. How would you expect Revit to know from one modeled object to another which way to orient the texture unless you tell it to via a pattern on the surface? Course it stinks to have to make sure there's a pattern there in the first place when you don't much care about the pattern.

Login to Give a bone

Exclamation Re: Material Orientation - Realistic View

I would definately classify this as a bug.
    It is counter-intuitive to assume that the same material on an adjacent face would not be consistently oriented in the same direction. There is no reason for the materials to be inconsistently mapped on adjacent surfaces.

Revit should at the least implement a 'grain' direction in every material and automatically map it to maintain orientation. Then provide a function to rotate a material map on a single face or across a group of faces without adding a model pattern.

The fact that simply adding a model pattern to a material fixes the problem proves that materials can be mapped consistently without modifying individual faces.

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

I realize this post is a little late, but while looking for an answer to this same question I came across this thread. I thought I would leave my 2cents and tell you what I found. Instead of creating a model pattern (which creates unwanted hatch patterns in plan/elev) I simply created a duplicate material in which I rotated the image(/bump) file 90degrees and simply painted the faces of the incorrect side. Worked for me like a charm. No model lines. Realistic view is, well realistic.

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by DoTheBIM View Post
    See attached pic to explain how revit thinks in this regard. I created two rectangular extrusions and assigned a material to show oreintation. Only difference was where my first sketch line was located. Doesn't really help, and isn't really realistic to pay attention to where all your first sketch lines are, and it's very unrealistic to go back and redo a family to adjust the first sketch line with you've got things locked, constrained and joined to existing geometry. Revit will potentially throw all kinds of warnings at you for deleting stuff it was depending on. Sorry it's not much help other than giving a better understanding of what is happening.

Hello,

I am having the same problem with the orientation of my materials. I have tried your suggested method of changing where my first sketch line is placed but I have not had any luck. What could I be doing wrong?

Thank you!!

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

even i am i have same problem can any 1 help me out with this thing
    problem.jpg