See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: LOD and BIM Level

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Unhappy LOD and BIM Level

I have a client who has said they are looking for a LOD 300 model for a project I am working on. However I was told by my boss, that we are doing a BIM Level 1 model. Here is my confusion.

So LOD or Level of Development has a bunch of ranges from basic 100 to full detail design 350 to as built conditions 500. Right?

Now it was my understanding if someone said they wanted a BIM Level 1 model, they are referring to a LOD 100 model.

So if my client is saying they want a LOD 300 model, they are looking for a BIM Level 3 model.

Yes? No? Can you create a LOD 300 as a BIM Level 1?

We need to make sure that the families are categorized appropriately and not just generic so that the view filters will work correctly.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: LOD and BIM Level

I would refer to LOD... BIM Level 1 will not meet your clients needs.

Login to Give a bone

This seems to be the flavor of the month among owners; we've had several requests for "LOD 400 models." We've had to explain that LOD refers to components within the model, not the overall model itself. Usually, this requires a bit of a sit-down to understand exactly what the owner thinks they want and why to come up with an acceptable solution.

-Crawford

Login to Give a bone

So a few things.
    First there is no such thing as a LOD XXX model. Some parts may 300, some may be 400, some may be 250, some may be just 2d lines (think detailing and connections or misc metals...)
    Second I would always refer to everything as Level of Development (at least in the US). And make sure if you're going to use LOD for short, you spell out what LOD is. Level of Development is substantially different from Level of Detail. Never interchange the 2. Something can be a highly detailed modeled element, but if it's in the wrong place, it'll never be more than Level of Development 200.
    Third, If you have questions on LOD stuff, I would suggest you look at the BIM Forum LOD Spec. It's a great document that goes thur just about all of the building systems and gives you great Graphical examples at each LOD level.
    http://bimforum.org/wp-content/uploa...17-11-06-1.pdf
    http://bimforum.org/wp-content/uploa...17-11-07-1.pdf
    Fourth, Make sure you fully understand what you're getting yourself into if you agree with the contract language. If the LOD level wasn't called out before setting the price for service, you don't need to do anything more than provide the standard level of care that you would to any other document. If they want more, ask for Add Service. Also make sure they want a Revit model as a final deliverable. Not CAD to a specific standard.

I did a quick google on BIM Level 1 and it appears to be more of a naming convention/Standard that a Level of Development.

A few others to look out for.
    Level of Reliance - The level of which a Contractor can rely on your model for accuracy
    Authorized Use - What can the contractor (or others) use your model for

There were several other that came up that I don't remember what the "Lawyerese" term that was used
    But one dealt with Errors and which one should be correct. The 2D documents, the Model or the specs or a combination of both and which one should rule.

Just some thoughts. Hope this helps.

Login to Give a bone

BIM Levels and LOD are separate things. You can have a BIM level 2 project with a low LoD requirement and you can have a non-BIM Level 2 Project with a high LoD requirement, depending on what has been asked for and agreed.

BIM Levels describe the maturity for the collaborative way of working with the design team to ensure information flow and sharing of data. BIM Level 1 never really existed, it was created to describe where people were at running projects, working on their own models which didn't necessarily exchange information with other models. BIM Level 2 makes sure the whole project team are collaborating efficiently, development of separate information models which can reference & exchange information with other models.

In the UK the requirements to achieve BIM Level 2 are outlined in PAS 1192-2, and are summarised as:
    • Development of information models which reference, federate or exchange information with other models;
    • Provision of an Employers Information Requirements (EIR) document with clear definition and decision points;
    • Supplier & Supply chain capability assessment;
    • Provision of a BIM Execution Plan (BEP) including assigned roles, standard, methods, & procedures and a master information delivery matrix aligned with the project programme;
    • Provision of a Common Data Environment;
    • Compliance with the applicable documents and standards.
    • Development of information models utilising database-based software, and analysis software.

LoD is Level of Development which combines LOD - Level of Detail, the graphical data, and LOI - Level of Information, the non-graphical data contained within the model. The LoD should be defined in the Model Production Delivery Table. This outlines all the elements and to what LoD those elements within a model will be developed to at each stage.

LOD 100 etc is an AIA standard which does break down what should be done for each element at each level. If you have agreed to deliver a LOD 300 model then each element you have to model will need to meet the AIA standard. But as others have said you would normally have different elements at different LOD, which is why you need the MPDT to agree what you are delivering and when.