Thread: Linked Models

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Linked Models

Hi Guys,

I just want to ask this.

Say if someone will open the structural central file with attached link of architectural model by choosing "detached from central" and that person will detached the architectural linked, this will also recall the active structural central file which mean that the architectural linked will also be detached?

cheers

I could stop if I wanted to Merlin's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Linked Models

Not sure I'm following your query.
    Your actions are:
    -You have a Structural file with a linked Architectural model. Someone opens the Structural file with the selection of "DETACH FROM CENTRAL"
    -In that opened detached Structural file, the user detaches the Architectural linked file...are you saying this link is "REMOVED" or "UNLOADED"?...And then? (Not quite sure of these following actions?)

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
    Not sure I'm following your query.
    Your actions are:
    -You have a Structural file with a linked Architectural model. Someone opens the Structural file with the selection of "DETACH FROM CENTRAL"
    -In that opened detached Structural file, the user detaches the Architectural linked file...are you saying this link is "REMOVED" or "UNLOADED"?...And then? (Not quite sure of these following actions?)
    Yes exactly. If this guy will save in his own PC (the detach from central file) and he unloaded or removed the architectural link and saved, this means that it is also remove the link from the active central file from the server which has the architectural linked?

Login to Give a bone

If you open a file detached from central, anything you do to that file is a one off detached copy. You can unload the link, Detach the Link or remove the link and it won't affect the "Active" production model.

When you open a model detached and save it to a local PC, it becomes a new central, totally dissociated from the original file.
    As long as you open detached, you won't affect the original.

That said the link is still coming from the live location, unless you've opened that model detached and saved it was well, and then re-linked it via the Link Manager and the re-load from.

The only exception to the rule that I can think of is if you were to mess with the Shared Coordinate. The Shared Coordinate inside the Project Information is the only Revit object that I know of that you can force to write back to linked model.

Hope this helps.

I could stop if I wanted to Merlin's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Yep....what he said!