Thread: Amendments to Consultant Drawings

Login to Give a bone

Default Amendments to Consultant Drawings

Hi,

Working in Local Government, we are sometimes requested to make changes to a set of drawings produced by External Consultants, typically Civil Engineering documentation.
    The changes requested can vary from minor edits to a partial re-design.
    I would love to hear people's thoughts and/or experiences... Would you do this? Have you done this? If not, why not..?

Thanks.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Amendments to Consultant Drawings

I would do this within reason!

Login to Give a bone

I guess it depends on the "type" of drawings you're editing and what the end result is for the governement

You mention you work in a local government, I assume a municipality?
    Are you editing AutoCAD drawings provided to the government for it's own use per contract? if so then sure why not it's yours.

If they are drawings that the government received where you were provided Stamped/sealed PDF or hard copies, and the .dwg files for your use (without stamps) per contract, then the PE is not responsible for your edits.

So I guess it depends on a lot of things, why you're doing it, how your doing it, what is becoming of the files when you're done.
    But as I said before, any edits made to stamped drawings voids that stamp and the stamping PE is no liable for your changes, if that is the case.

Login to Give a bone

This is something you need to verify with competent legal counsel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Despite what tedg says, the drawings may _not_ be yours. that's a matter of contract and copyright

Whether or not it's legally possible to do is also dependent on your state's laws -- IIRC FL requires you to notify the originating PE. And, even it if is permissible, once you have edited a design drawing, narrative, or spec, you and your organization have now assumed liability for the entire mess. Roadway floods after construction? Pump station is undersized and backs up? your problem now....

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cadtag View Post
    Despite what tedg says, the drawings may _not_ be yours. that's a matter of contract and copyright
    Yea, that sort of what I meant by "provided to the government for it's own use per contract", assuming that contract says they can do what they want with it and provider is not held liable.
    But yes, that is a sticky situation and I would be interested in hearing more details from the OP.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by RDunkley View Post
    Hi,

Working in Local Government, we are sometimes requested to make changes to a set of drawings produced by External Consultants, typically Civil Engineering documentation.
    The changes requested can vary from minor edits to a partial re-design.
    I would love to hear people's thoughts and/or experiences... Would you do this? Have you done this? If not, why not..?

Thanks.
    I've worked in Facilities, and electronic documentation is an expected part of our project turnover (in the specs that accompany all projects). In which case, we keep the original project archived and have a working set of drawings where we make all of our edits.

There's a post-occupancy forum, too, if you want to see some complaints about contractor drawings. lol. http://forums.augi.com/forumdisplay.php?519-Facilities-Management-In-Practice
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost