Thread: How do I create openings in custom curtain wall - profiled ( corrugated) steel cladding

Login to Give a bone

Default How do I create openings in custom curtain wall - profiled ( corrugated) steel cladding

I have created a custom wall panel using a corrugated steel profile. I cannot find a method to create openings in it. Any ideas welcome, thank you.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: How do I create openings in custom curtain wall - profiled ( corrugated) steel cladding

Add the void to the panel. You can add a parameter to move the void around, but it would appear that you can't cut curtain panels with face hosted void families.
    But I haven't given it the full test yet.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: How do I create openings in custom curtain wall - profiled ( corrugated) steel cladding

Unfortunately, when doing something similar didn't have any luck nesting in opening or hosting to the curtainwall panel itself. The work around i used was hosting elements to either the back up wall or a foundation wall. I then created a seperate generic face based family which was a parametic solid extrusion. I was able to use this to cut the an opening to in the curtain wall panel using this technique. Then I created a family based view filter to hide the generic face based family I was using to cut my panels. I also had to create a graphic view filter if you want to make it graphically read as a wall cut in plan/section versus a curtainwall.

However, in your case depending on how your built your panel it should not effect your pattern to just add a curtainwall grid line and delete panel for this portion if you want an opening or switch it to a wall put a hosted element like a door, window, etc.

I hope this saves you some of the time it took me to think through how to approach this on my project. As always there is a million ways to accomplish anything in revit. Good luck!
    Last edited by mark763262; 2018-02-09 at 04:53 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by david_peterson View Post
    Add the void to the panel. You can add a parameter to move the void around, but it would appear that you can't cut curtain panels with face hosted void families.
    But I haven't given it the full test yet.
    If you wanted to create a family type with openings you could use this approach. Keep in mind that you wont be able to turn the void off/on. The visbility on/off parameter will not allow you to cut/uncut. I think you can get around it nesting a uncut and cut family, introducing some subtypes to your family, and with a and/if formula, but it begins to get a little cumbersome.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Mcunni21 View Post
    If you wanted to create a family type with openings you could use this approach. Keep in mind that you wont be able to turn the void off/on. The visbility on/off parameter will not allow you to cut/uncut. I think you can get around it nesting a uncut and cut family, introducing some subtypes to your family, and with a and/if formula, but it begins to get a little cumbersome.
    You can control it with a type parameter. Just set it the start and end of the void to some reference planes and put a dimension between them, add a label called "Control Void" or something. Add a yes/no parameter for say "Has Opening". Add a formula to Control void "if(Has Opening, 0'-10", 1/16"). So if the box is checked, the void will pas thru panel creating the void. If it's unchecked the void just sits outside the panel and cuts nothing. No need to nest additional families. I use this trick all the time. You could add additional parameters to control the opening size as well, and provide an offset to either side of the centerline of the panel. As long as the panel size is larger than the void you won't it won't break.