See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: How can I create a NON Anotative attribute tag for a door.

Login to Give a bone

Default How can I create a NON Anotative attribute tag for a door.

Hello all, I am trying to create a simple door tag that displays the door width. I am using the definetag command and all works very well, the issue I have is this wizard automatically creates an annotative tag I do not want the tag annotative how can I create a non-annotative tag?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: How can I create a NON Anotative attribute tag for a door.

If you really want a non-annotative Tag, you will have to build the Tag manually, rather than using the DEFINETAG command.
    1. Set up a non-annotative text style to use for the attribute definitions, if you do not already have one.

2. Decide what size you want the Tag to be, and whether or not you want to apply scaling to it. If you always want the Tag to be a particular size, regardless of the annotation scale, then create the objects that size. If you want to be able to manually scale the Tag for different scale conditions, then decide how you want to do that (draw at plotted size and apply scale factor; draw for most commonly used size, and scale up or down from there, etc.).

3. Create an attribute definition for each property you want the Tag to display. The Tag property of the attribute definition has to be formatted as follows in order for ACA to recognize the final Multi-View Block [MVB] as a tag:

PROPERTYSETNAME:PROPERTYNAME

For example, if you have a property set called DoorObjects and that set has a property called Number, the attribute definition Tag should read DOOROBJECTS:NUMBER. You can also add an invisible attribute definition to have a property set attached when using the Tag even though you do not want to display the value of any of the properties in that set in the Tag.

4. Add any other graphics you want for the Tag, sized appropriately relative to the attribute definitions.

5. Identify an appropriate insertion point for the Tag, and then create a Block Definition using that insertion point and selecting the attribute definitions and other graphics (if any) you created. Make certain that the Block Defintion is NOT annotative.

6. Create a Multi-View Block Definition, assigning the Block Definition you created as a View Block. Your needs may vary, but if you want the Tag to show when the out-of-the-box Tags show, then assign the Block Definition to the General Display Representation, and have it only appear in the Top View Direction.

7. Use the MVBLOCKADD command to add an instance of your MVB Definition. Scale the MVB as appropriate, and move it to the desired layer. Select the MVB, right click and choose Tag Anchor > Set Object from the context menu. Select the Door to which you want to anchor the MVB. Answer the command line prompts as to whether you want the Tag constrained to the Door. When the command is complete, the visible attributes in the Block Definition should show the value of the associated property attached to the Door.

8. Repeat Step 7 for each additional tag you wish to create. Or, you can copy the first Tag to each additional Door to be tagged. You will still need to select each Tag, right click and select Tag Anchor > Set Object and select the Door to which that Tag should be anchored; otherwise, all will remain anchored to the first Door.

When selecting Tags placed as above, you will get the Multi-View Block contextual ribbon tab, not the Tag contextual ribbon tab, but you can access the Tag Anchor tools by using the right-click context menu, when needed.

If you can live with your non-annotative Tag having annotation scaling applied at the time of placement, you can create a Tag tool for it. A scale factor that is the combination of the current annotation scale and the annotation plot size will be applied to the tag when placed, but subsequent changes to either the annotation scale or the annotation plot size will be ignored by the non-annotative tag. The advantage of using a Tag tool is that the anchoring will be automatically done and you can assign a Layer Key to the tool, and have the Tag placed on the correct layer automatically. If you want to do this, you need to size the attribute definitions and other graphics created for the Block Definition such that one unit will end up being as the anntotation plot size when plotted at the annotation scale current at the time of original placement. For example, if you want a property value to display at the annotation plot size height, make it one unit high.

The attached drawing file, done in AutoCAD Architecture 2017 (2013 file format, can be opened in AutoCAD Architecture 2013 and later), there are three Doors that have at least two Tags each. The circle Tags are the out-of-the-box imperial non-project Door Tags, and are annotative. A number of annotation scales have been added to them. The square Tags were created based on the round Tag's View Block, with two modifications. The height of the DOOROBJECTS:NUMBER attribute defintion was increased from 0.75 to 1.0 and the 1.5 unit diameter circle was replaced by a 1.5 unit square closed polyline. A new non-annotative Block Definition was created from these pieces, and assigned as the View Block in a new MVB Definition for the square Tags.

An instance of the MVB Definition was placed for each Door, scaled up by a factor of 9 to be sized appropriately for 1/8"=1'-0" (3/32 annotation plot size * 96 annotation scale factor = 9) and put on the A-Door-Iden layer. Each was selected in turn and anchored to the respective Door, using the technique noted above.

Door "03" has two additional Tags, that were placed using a Tag tool. That tool was created by saving the file and then dragging an instance of the square MVB onto an editable tool palette. (If this is to be an office standard, you will want to get your MVB Definition in a file saved to a "permanent" location accessible to all, and then dragged from that file.) The DOORNO layer key was added to the tool's properties, and then it was used twice, once with the annotation scale set to 1/8"=1'-0" and once with it set to 1/4"=1'-0". As you can see, the latter Tag is smaller, as it has scale factors of 4.5 (3/32 * 4. But, you can now change the annotation scale in this file, and the square Tags will not change in size, whereas the round tags will, if the scale you select is one that is assigned.

I hope this addresses what you are trying to achieve. Reply with any question you may have.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: How can I create a NON Anotative attribute tag for a door.

Thank you David I was able to follow your instructions with little difficulty it worked great.