See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Civil 3D closes suddenly on new computers

Login to Give a bone

Default Civil 3D closes suddenly on new computers

The company I work for purchased some new computers and they installed Civil 3D 2015 on these machines since that is what the rest of the office is currently using. The user with the new computers are complaining that the Civil 3D 2015 is just "disappearing". It seems to be closing without warning and doesn't even notify you that it has error-ed. There doesn't seem to be a specific problem or command causing it. The person who was in charge of setting up these computers did say there was a graphics card compatibility issue. I am wondering if this could be caused by the graphics card or Windows 10? Although, our other machines that have Windows 10 aren't having this problem. Any ideas or suggestions would be welcome.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Civil 3D closes suddenly on new computers

Civil 3D 2015 is not supported on Windows 10. However we are running Civil 3D 2014 on Win10 with no issues.

The graphics card and driver are very important starting with the 2015 versions. Make sure you have supported/recommended adapters and the recommended driver.
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

Login to Give a bone

At my old job I was in charge of specking out the computers and handling the installs, but not here, so I unfortunately don't know all about the new machines. Considering our old Windows 10 machines seem to be running it ok. We will have to look more into the graphics cards then and see if we can fix the problem. Thanks for the help.

Login to Give a bone

Which version of Windows 10?

1703?
    1709?
    Something else?

You could be seeing different results on different versions.

Login to Give a bone

I talked to Mike at my office who has been working on the problem. He is looking into the different versions of Windows 10 we have.

Mike has checked out https://knowledge.autodesk.com/suppo...-commands.html but it didn't help. He also tried optimizing computer performance for the NVIDIA graphics card as much as we can per the instructions (newest driver, setting performance over power management, setting CAD to use the GeForce 730, etc). DirectX11/12 comes standard with this machine.

We do have a ticket with Autodesk, but none of their suggestions have worked so far.

We are talking about upgrading to 2016, but that may not even fix the problem.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

I'm currently using 2015 C3D on Windows 10 Pro, version 1709, OS build 16299.248. Graphics is an ATI FirePro V4800 (FireGL) Adapter. Intel i7-6700 @ 3.4GHz, Ram is 8 Gigs and an SSD drive.

It been running ok. Crashes about 2-3 times a week, which is about average in the office.

Login to Give a bone

Yeah, FWIW - we are running C3D 2014 and 2017 on Win10, 1709, 16299.15 (on about 75 PCs) - with essentially no issues. Like @MMccall - everyone crashes a few times a week - no different than the Win7 boxes we run (over 100 still).

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

We tested 2016 on our old boxes and it did not work was intel graphics card problem not win 7 so after 5 years we updated. I personally run win 10 1709 pain in bum upgrade about 2 hours, and run 2016 and 2018 CIV3D ok, but its a home pc at work only have 1 win 10 Corporate testing with 2018.