Thread: editing parcels

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default editing parcels

How do you edit a parcel once it's been created. say i have a residential lot (parcel) and what to modify the geometry of it.

I find that working with parcels is extremely difficult and frustrating. I know once i know all the work arounds and secrets, it will be a a great tool.

what's the best way to create parcels? should you create closed polygons first and then convert them? i am currently working on a small subdivision and
    am having fits trying to edit some the geometry.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: editing parcels

Some thoughts that helped me get a grip on parcels:

Its more like adding parcel segments to a site. If those segments form an enclosed area, a parcel will happen.
    The parcel is the space contained inside those segments.
    The parcel doesn't own those segments, it merely uses them to define its limits.
    You can edit those segments and the parcel(s) will fill the new enclosed space(s) within the segments in the site.
    If the edits to the segments no longer form an enclosed area then the parcel will go away. (like it leaked out of the open segments)
    Re-edit the segments and/or add in a new segment to close things up again and a parcel will happen again, just not the same one, it will be a new one.
    Parcel segments need not meet end to end to form a parcel. Parcels can use portions of a segments to define their enclosed area.

Parcel segments made from ploylines with multiple vertices will make parcels segments with multiple vertices. This sticks the end of the segment to each other and won't allow you to edit the end of one without affecting the next segment unless you break them apart. Its easier to just plan ahead and explode any polylines to lines before making them into parcel segments. My preference is to construct things from polylines then convert them to segments. Drawing in some temp polylines can also help in editing.

For a parcel segment label to span, the segment needs to be one complete segment, and with no intersecting segments on the side of the segment as the label.

Sites are parcels. The site parcel is like a shrink wrap around all the parcels within the site. This parcel can be given its own parcel style.

When multiple parcel styles are being used with a site you can set an order for their application for locations where one or more parcels share the same parcel segment(s)

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: editing parcels

thanks for the tips MMccall. looking forward to experimenting with your thoughts