See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Bibliography for Beginner IT Management

Login to Give a bone

Default Bibliography for Beginner IT Management

I am a part of a startup company, where everyone wears many hats. One area I am over is IT/Network/CAD Management. I have worked with AutoCAD for over a dozen years, but am fairly new to IT and Networking. Are there any book recommendations that could help me get a leg up in these areas? AutoCAD included.

Thanks,
    Jeremy

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Bibliography for Beginner IT Management

I don't know about books, especially since IT and Network admin are pretty technical subjects, but I do some computer linux/networking stuff as a hobby, and Lynda.com is a very useful resource for all of it. Here in Alaska, my local library pays for a mass subscription for the whole municipality, so it might be worth your time to check your local library's portal:

they have pretty much anything you could want to learn about computers, CAD, BIM, or networks there, along with exercise files to help you get started. Way better than youtube, and sometimes better than network textbooks since the courses are all taught by professionals.

Login to Give a bone

I was in a similar situation just a few years ago, when I left one of the big international design firms to work for an SMB.

The specifics of what you need to learn are obviously going to be different for each firm, but taking an instructor-led MTA Server course might not be a bad idea, even if you don't take the exam for the certification itself.

Don't forget to cull everything you can from your Server/Network hardware supplier - ask them lots of questions so you can learn what they know, before they earn your business - plus discussing the IT plan for the coming year (or three) with a professional might also help you figure out what you want/need to learn, based on the proposed IT solutions & systems topology they recommend for your new startup.

The next easiest way to learn is practical application, using what you've learned to setup your new startup for success - that will force you to make decisions - which inherently leads to mistakes (unintentionally), where the most valuable knowledge comes from.

Cheers
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

Forgot to mention - since you're working for a startup, you'd do well to apply for a Microsoft BizSpark membership... Which I believe they've just renamed to 'Microsoft for Startups':

https://startups.microsoft.com/en-us/

Being a BizSpark member allowed me to save my employer $30K+ in free server & client software licensing, user & device CALs, ect, that you can continue to use (for profit) after 'graduating' from the program.
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000