See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Is it a good idea to move all my project to Revit?

Login to Give a bone

Default Is it a good idea to move all my project to Revit?

Hi All,
    I work in the electrical design and BIM world, I lead a team of 2 at this moment with hope of growth in the near future, and we are trying to standardize our production when referring to sheets, symbols and all around productivity. I have figure out ways I can bring in CAD files into Revit and make it function as a Revit project with families and all. My coworker don't seem to like the idea of linking CAD in and working in Revit. He's not a Revit guy, but I also think this way he can also learn the function of Revit and get prepared when a 3D project arrive. I mean there's more to say about this but.

Is it a good idea to move CAD project into Revit when received and work on it from there? I mean, I have created Templates and I also have Families created to host to CAD links using "work plane" which function Electrically and has all the perimeter as our 3D families.

Digital Delivery Director Brian Myers's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Is it a good idea to move all my project to Revit?

Before I answer this question, I want to tell you my history. I have been using Revit for 12 years, trained it for an Autodesk reseller for over 7 years. Have been a BIM Manager for multiple firms, including firms much larger than yours. Additionally I have worked to create multiple electrical templates in Revit and was the technology director over the electrical department in a firm where I created much of their Revit standards. Oh, and I have been using AutoCAD professionally since 1990, so I know it very well too.

I mention all that because.... no, I would not do what you are describing. While linking in CAD can work for certain circumstances, generally CAD files slow Revit down and make it more likely to be unstable. While I have been known to Link in CAD symbols into families, I then will change it into Revit content (converting them into Revit lines, arcs, circles, etc) inside the family to become true Revit content.

From speed to stability to visibility issues (line weights, etc) CAD semi-permanently in Revit is a bad idea. The thoughts are good and yes, you COULD do it. I have seen it done a lot. But I have yet to see a company that went that strategy and succeeded long term unless they eventually converted that content into Revit content. Then they usually (almost always) thought “ thank goodness we finally got rid of the CAD content “ because their Revit projects simply went smoother without it.

Login to Give a bone

Thank you Brian, That is the same path I'm on at this moment. Trying to create Revit Standard for my electrical design / BIM department. I follow you on Linkedin and are looking at some of your curses, do you have courses on Linkedin specific to electrical design and electrical modeling?

Digital Delivery Director Brian Myers's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I personally do not have any courses related to electrical modeling. I have a strong understanding of technological capabilities and what needs to be shown and in a set of documents generated by a department. But my electrical engineering knowledge (sizing, etc) is somewhat limited so I tend to rely on my engineers for design and calculations and then either I or one of my drafters make the magic happen in the computer based on their design criteria. Ultimately, I empower them with the software knowledge to maximize their capabilities to generate the required documents. But I can do that since I understand and speak their language of design, I'm just not qualified to design the systems accurately myself.... which is why I don't put out instructional video on the topic.