Thread: DRAWN BY initials

Login to Give a bone

Default DRAWN BY initials

I have a reason to believe that my co-worker is replacing my initials with his on drawings that I created (completely). We are the only two that work on CAD. All these years I've been a designer/draftsman, I've never encountered this and am wondering, is there any kind of ethics being broken here? What is the importance other than reference (and pride of work done and responsibility) for our initials? Any and all input would be appreciated. Thanks

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: DRAWN BY initials

Maybe the initial cell is defined by Fields that will automatically read the username/last saved by?
    Normally, the user who created the file shall add his/her initial in the title-block and it is important to fill out correctly. This works 'as you mentioned' as a reference used to flag the right person in case of any further queries related to a specific sheet/project.
    However, those initials are known only within the department but they mean nothing to the clients, sub-consultants or contractors or even the upper managment

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by a_meteni View Post
    Maybe the initial cell is defined by Fields that will automatically read the username/last saved by?
    Normally, the user who created the file shall add his/her initial in the title-block and it is important to fill out correctly. This works 'as you mentioned' as a reference used to flag the right person in case of any further queries related to a specific sheet/project.
    However, those initials are known only within the department but they mean nothing to the clients, sub-consultants or contractors or even the upper managment
    Thank you Ali. They are not automatic in this case. He had to manually insert them. I do believe he did it intentionally, knowing his character. Regardless, I appreciate the reply, and its good to know that the info is strictly for in-house. Thanks again.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by toad6513 View Post
    I have a reason to believe that my co-worker is replacing my initials with his on drawings that I created (completely). We are the only two that work on CAD. All these years I've been a designer/draftsman, I've never encountered this and am wondering, is there any kind of ethics being broken here? What is the importance other than reference (and pride of work done and responsibility) for our initials? Any and all input would be appreciated. Thanks
    Yes, the "drawn by" field/attribute in a title block is meant to place the original designer/drafter's initials or name for reference and the responsible party, (usually for internal use).
    It helps if there is an issue or at least for credit.

It depends on the the title block, but if a sheet gets edited/revised, the "drawn by" will get updated within the revision status, not the original "drawn by" place holder.
    Sometimes the only "drawn by" is in one place on the title block, and not in a revision status block, so in that case, if I have made significant changes to a drawing that I didn't originally create, I will change the "drawn by" to my initials, the previous record drawings will have the original "drawn by".

So is it possible this other person made major changes to the drawings you created and there was no other place to add their initials?

Login to Give a bone

Actually, if these are construction documents, there is a potential for litigation, and as legal documents the initials in the drawn by may be a factor. I stress 'may', rather than will.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by toad6513 View Post
    I have a reason to believe that my co-worker is replacing my initials with his on drawings that I created (completely). We are the only two that work on CAD.
    Have you asked this person if and why they are doing it?
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

Login to Give a bone

Our standard is for the original drafter to place there initials in the title block, if they have done the lions share of the work the initials stay as they are the direct contact and link to that drawing and project information. If another drafter revises the drawings on a small scale we usually leave the initials as is, but if large changes have occurred we will have them add there initials to the title block.

Such as I started a drawing - JLP

Was complete with help form some one - JLP/GP

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jayrock View Post
    Our standard is for the original drafter to place there initials in the title block, if they have done the lions share of the work the initials stay as they are the direct contact and link to that drawing and project information. If another drafter revises the drawings on a small scale we usually leave the initials as is, but if large changes have occurred we will have them add there initials to the title block.

Thanks Jayrock, That's how I would personally handle it as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rkmcswain View Post
    Have you asked this person if and why they are doing it?
    rkmcswain: I have not as of yet, just wanted to get some background on what I believed to be true (and the replies here have reassured me). He may not have had any ill intention but I just thought it was odd that he took the time to do it, and the work he did was minimal.

Login to Give a bone

Quick question for you, is this co-worker a newer drafter or some one with a few miles under their belt?

If you have any other question feel free to let me know.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jayrock View Post

Yes, this is what I have typically seen/done.