See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: How do you manage large RVT files

Login to Give a bone

Default How do you manage large RVT files

Greetings!

I have been using revit for 3 years.Over the 3 years, I started working in revit for school projects, then small residential projects at my first drafting job for an architectural firm. This year, I began working for a bigger firm with bigger projects and I couldn't be more excited. It is my first role working on large commercial size projects, and I am learning a lot about revit as my projects get bigger and more involved. I would like to ask my experienced revit friends out there, what do you use to manage the file size of your revit project? I am working with a linked Revit model, I just figured out how to use the Revit Links diplay model properties- this helped me a lot with removing linked cad dwgs as underlays. I now just use the linked revit model. Also, I started using purged unused items command. But my file size is pretty big, 99,000 kb, so when I edit my model its running but it has a 3-4 second delay.

Can anyone share any tips? I would like to hear about scope boxes if you have experience with these.. I read that they can help, but I am not sure how to use them.+

Thanks so much

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: How do you manage large RVT files

Only 99MB - My advice get a better workstation.
    In my line of work that's a small file.
    Things you can do to help clean up a file
    - Open the file and create new Centrals from time to time. This helps to clean up some of the internal errors.
    - Resolve as many errors as you can. You can skip the "Slightly Off Axis" ones. But redundant rooms or unplaced rooms are a big one.
    - Audit when you open and always create a new local file. (assuming you're running workshareing)
    - Check for large overly complex families - Save out all the families in the project - if something breaks in the family when you export it, fix it.
    - Look at how your families are built. If they are built correctly - ie you have symbolic lines and not the modeled element displaying your model will run faster. Won't do anything for file size but will help with performance.
    - Compact the file when Syncing - This can help a lot. remember revit will only un-compact what it needs to, so the first time it might take a bit. But if you always do it shouldn't be very noticeable
    -Make sure Cad files are linked and not imported. Imported Cad files are Evil.

That's the short list.
    But in General I'd say look at a new workstation if you're running into issues.
    Largest individual file I've worked on lately was 993MB. It also had a bunch of links.
    Largest project I've worked on had over 90 linked models, total file size was over 4.3GB as it wouldn't fit on a standard DVD.

What are the spec on the workstation you currently have?

Login to Give a bone

Thanks David! We ordered a video card for my station, I am hoping the increase in RAM will speed up my process.

I currently have 8 GB on a 64 bit OS.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by evelyn View Post
    Thanks David! We ordered a video card for my station, I am hoping the increase in RAM will speed up my process.

I currently have 8 GB on a 64 bit OS.
    Did you get more RAM in addition to the video card? The new video card might help, but that's not the same as increasing the motherboard RAM.

Login to Give a bone

We've also recently upgraded our Lumion Workstations to 64gb of Ram as a standard we ran out once.
    Revit really doesn't beat on your graphics card much so I'm not sure that's going to help the cause, but it won't hurt.
    Depending on your hardware, if you're still running Windows 7, that can cause performance issues as well. The newer hardware has been designed to run Windows 10.
    I believe the rule of thumb that I think Wes posted in the hardware specs for revit guide puts the Ram number at 20 times file size as recommended.
    Just some additional thoughts.

Login to Give a bone

Capture.PNG

I am not not sure how to answer that, although after looking at my ram this morning... it looks like the ram stayed the same so it must just be a video card
    I will try to post a snip of my hardware, I have never done this -- I hope it works!

Login to Give a bone

I'm thinking your ram is the Issue.
    One thing you could try is to open up your Task Manager and check out how much of your system memory is being used.
    You have 8gb total. Windows OS takes up 2.5-3.5gb of that. Revit probably takes up and 1 - 1.5gb. So you may be close to running out of Ram.
    The other one that we didn't talk about was your hard drive. You need open consecutive sectors. Not sure how much capacity you have, but if you're running a spindle type hard drive (not solid state) defraging your hard drive might also help. Just some more thoughts. But I'd bet you notice a big improvement if you double your Ram.
    One other one that I may have forgotten was to re-create your central if you have a workshared model.
    Hope this helps.