Thread: Cut 3d Box Culvert From EG Surface

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Default Cut 3d Box Culvert From EG Surface

Hello all,

I'm trying to create a surface that reflects the existence of a 6' x 6' box culvert running underneath a dirt road. This culvert is going to be ripped out and replaced.
    For our design team, I'd like to be able to create a 3d object reflecting the box culvert that I can trim from the surface, so that our materials calculations will be correct.
    So far I have the existing ground surface, and I've extruded a box with the base along the flowline elevs. I would like to be able to trim this box out of my surface, but SURFTRIM command is telling me I don't have valid objects.
    Please let me know if you have any ideas. I'm open to different approaches. Or if I didn't explain that well, I can try again.

Thanks !

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Cut 3d Box Culvert From EG Surface

I personally would make a new surface with a grading object then paste that surface into the old surface.
    You could also make a new surface from break-lines and paste that into the old one

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Check out this video, it may help you.

https://youtu.be/tQjQYuSeg0o

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

something like this? see attached image.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by remi678731 View Post
    I personally would make a new surface with a grading object then paste that surface into the old surface.
    You could also make a new surface from break-lines and paste that into the old one
    Pasting it into the old surface from a grading object surface which references the old surface may cause an error. Create a new surface object, paste the old surface and the new surface into the new surface object.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Opie View Post
    Pasting it into the old surface from a grading object surface which references the old surface may cause an error. Create a new surface object, paste the old surface and the new surface into the new surface object.
    Hi
    I guess I didn't explain adequately you create the grading object then create a detached surface from the grading object. then delete the grading object (optional) then you have a separate surface that should paste well. I have used this process several times.

Login to Give a bone

Seems like more work than creating a new surface and paste your surface changes from grading along with the original surface. Grading Groups allow for the automatic surface generation via a check box and choosing the surface settings. If you need to revise your new changes, the link to the surface remains in the composite surface.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt