Thread: hollowcore in revit

Login to Give a bone

Default hollowcore in revit

Just wondering what people are doing when it comes to hollowcore planks. Are you creating just a floor system with the correct depth or are you taking it to the next step of creating a beam and actually laying out planks.
    I work at a structural consulting firm and we model most elements to LOD 300, but are having an argument amongst the modelers as to what level we should do the hollowcore planks to.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: hollowcore in revit

I had a similar issue on a project where a portion of the deck was going to be cellular with electrical and data Raceways and the rest was going to be standard composite.
    The PA on the project wanted to be able to control where those areas were going to be. I had to create a new family. I used a generic model with a sweep and added a locked instance parameter so I could drag the end when I place them. I also create a face based void family so I could cut them where I wanted to. At the end of the day I didn't need to use them as the owner decided they didn't need it.
    In the past when I've done Hollowcore, I believe I used a beam family as we were going to be responsible for the layout of the planks. If it's LOD 300, I think you would need to do something similar. When in doubt you can always refer to the LOD forum spec.
    http://bimforum.org/wp-content/uploa...17-11-07-1.pdf
    They do have an example for Precast Tee's, which you would model as a piece. They don't have examples for Hollowcore. Not sure I would model the cores as thats more manufacturer specific stuff, but I think you would be required to model each plank. And the topping slab would be a separate item.
    Just my thoughts.

Login to Give a bone

Dave, thank you for the response.

The trick we get into here, is we do a LOD 300 for our Detail design on all structural elements. We are a structural consulting firm and provide structural drawings. ON the other hand though we do not do fabrication drawings, such as hollowcore, rebar, steel etc.
    So no, we are not responsible for the layout of the plank, but we do show a representation of it. This also brings up the question of if we are not in the end designing it or providing it, do we model it, as some one else will be doing the shop drawings for it. for example steel connections, rebar, hollowcore.

But I think for LOD a basic plank with no holes would be sufficient, correct.

Login to Give a bone

I think you need to lay it out conceptually anyway, so placing a basic plank should be more than sufficient.

Login to Give a bone

If we are trying to achieve LOD 300 on the floor framing system then ya a conceptual shape should be good. As a consultant I do not feel we should have to detail to the cores or stands.