Thread: managing revit content library

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default managing revit content library

i am not sure if this is the correct forum to post this issue. if not, can someone direct me to a proper forum.

i am acting BIM Manager and we are at a cross-road with limitation on access to our company revit library. the i have as the one managing the revit library is, everyone has access to each family. meaning, someone can edit/ make changes to one of our standard families (title blocks, doors, windows, etc.) and save over the top of our standard family. with this happening and the manager not knowing about it, others are using said family and wondering why it is different than the last project they used said family in.

i feel that there should be some limitation on how much control the users have with the library. i would like to get everyones thoughts on how they manage their revit content (family) library?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: managing revit content library

I work for a multi-disciplinary architecture/interior design/engineering firm. We have a small group (three at the current time) that does support for our design technology software, including Revit. The three of us have write permission to the network folders that contain our office standard content. A few others have write permission for the folder(s) for their specific disciplines. Everyone else is read-only.

We have a folder for each discipline in our project folder structure where families created for that project or modified versions of our standard loadable families can be saved apart from the project Revit files.

We are investigating third-party applications to make organizing and finding our content easier for the end users. Should we implement one of them, there still will be limitations on who can upload and revise content in that application.

I suppose it comes down to whether your firm is large enough to have full-time, dedicated support staff to curate office standard content, or whether by necessity everyone has to pitch in as time allows. Our firm is too large to allow everyone the ability to change the standards at will. My group also answers questions and provides training - content management is not all we do, but we do most of it, with assistance from selected power users from each discipline.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: managing revit content library

I work for a multi-office, multi-location, multi-Discipline firm.
    When we stared our library we used user permissions to lock down the families in the library location on our main office server. So if we make changes to templates, or families, they only need to be made in that location. At night our file server "Syncs" with the other offices to match what's on the main server. Basically it overwrites everything on all the other locations and removes anything that isn't on the main. If you needed to make modifications to that family for your project, you saved it with that project. You can't stop people from modifying content.
    Recently we've gone down a different road to make life easier for users by switching to a cloud based service (Unifi, there's others out there). We set permissions to libraries based. The nice part with this service is it's easily searchable. And if you you change a family and re-upload it, it keeps all the previous versions for you.