Thread: How do you move an object from a design option back to the main model?

Login to Give a bone

Default How do you move an object from a design option back to the main model?

I've just started to explore design options so bear with my ignorance.

How do you move an item from an option to the main model?

If you have to say "cut/paste" can you please preface your reply with "yeah, I know, it sux."

Thanks.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: How do you move an object from a design option back to the main model?

"yeah, I know, it sux."

Copy and Paste, or Cut and Paste.

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: How do you move an object from a design option back to the main model?

Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlx View Post
    ...If you have to say "cut/paste" can you please preface your reply with "yeah, I know, it sux."...
    If I suggest Cut to Clipboard and then Paste Aligned > Same Place do I have to preface it? At least this way there is no alignment or placement issues.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Stafford View Post
    If I suggest Cut to Clipboard and then Paste Aligned > Same Place do I have to preface it? At least this way there is no alignment or placement issues.
    Uh. Yeah. It's still a cut/paste.

&$%#. I was really hoping I was missing something. Cutting and pasting is a workaround. Cutting something has the potential to mess things up. It just makes me nervous with a program that has so many things linked.

I mean, how about this? Say a person before me created a furniture layout. They dimensioned the chairs to be equal between two walls. Then they deleted the dimension but left the constraint. When one or both of the walls move, the furniture goes along with it. Then I move the furniture to a design option. Link is still there. Later on, I realize that I shouldn't have moved the furniture and I cut/paste it to the main model, not knowing that the person purposefully had the furniture constrained to the walls. I've now broken the constraint since I cut/pasted. There's no warning about the constraint being broken. It just does it.

Give it a try if you don't believe me.

Does Autodesk even acknowledge that this is a workaround?

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Yes it is still cut and paste. Move with Disjoin checked is technically Cut/Paste "behind the curtain". A Design bar tool "Remove from Option" would probably also be a behind the scene cut/paste and it would probably remove the relationship. A wall that isn't part of an option constrained to elements that are part of an option is a risky relationship constraint at best.

I think we need an OBVIOUS process to move something from an option back to the main model. It isn't the first time they've heard this complaint so I know they know about it.

Login to Give a bone

-1 very yucky

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Yes, I agree and joining to the complaint. I think this an issue to take as a ticket request/customer complaint of wherever you can file it in you system. Revit still a good tool.