See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poll for Hiring Mangers?

Login to Give a bone

Default Poll for Hiring Mangers?

I saw that an Autodesk person has posted a poll looking for hiring managers to take a survey.
    https://autodeskfeedback.az1.qualtri...tH5cBWnwT5GYNT
    It basically ask about what you look for in a hire and how important certifications are to you.

I haven't been involved in that much hiring, but, certifications have never been important to me or those on my teams. Any other thoughts on the subject? (of course, feel free to take part in the poll so they have a good base of data to draw from)
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Poll for Hiring Mangers?

That's interesting that certificates do not seem to be high on the radar for a lot of CAD positions but in IT it is almost a requirement.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Opie View Post
    That's interesting that certificates do not seem to be high on the radar for a lot of CAD positions but in IT it is almost a requirement.
    I wonder how IT people get their jobs? They've got a much larger labor market than we do.
    The vast majority of folks here at AUGI got their jobs through personal contacts, and a big chunk of AECO/mfg firms don't even have HR departments so follow less the 'traditional' hiring of most larger markets.

I remember when trying to transition into an IT position at a past employer, I couldn't get past HR to the hiring managers because I didn't have an A+ certification... though I'd been doing tech support in that organization for nearly a decade at that point. Silliness, imho.

It could've been nice in the past, though, before I had a professional reputation (such as it is ) to draw upon.

I do hope to get some ARCHIBUS certifications at some point in the not too distant future, as that's the primary software I support right now, and some of our clients require that their contractors be certified in it. But, it doesn't affect my employment prospects in the facilities industry at all.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

There's a lot more official certifications available for the IT field. There just isn't a whole lot specific to many CAD admin tasks. It's almost a craft rather than a profession.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

HI
    Certificates have never done much more me
    I have several drafting certificates and AutoCAD professional certificates; and quite frankly they have never got me a job or made any difference to any job or employer. My work ethic and reputation have gotten my much farther.

Login to Give a bone

At my firm (architecture and engineering design) as a whole, I doubt that certification in Autodesk software would count for anything more than a "plus", if that. Depending on the position and the amount of experience required, being able to use the software with a reasonable level of proficiency is an expectation, but from what I can see, we take candidates statements of familiarity and experience with AutoCAD and Revit at face value and are not looking for third-party confirmation. We are more interested in proficiency in architecture or the engineering field of the position and the academic credentials (college degrees) behind that, anyway. We expect to have to do some amount of training on how to use the programs the way we use them, no matter how proficient the new hire may be.

Even when hiring for my design technology support group, where we would expect a high level of competence with the programs, there is not a requirement for Autodesk certification. We would also prefer that a new hire for design technology support have a background and experience with architecture or one of our engineering disciplines. Knowing all of the clicks and picks is good, but understanding what the end users are doing so that the best way to make use of the software in support of that is better.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by remi678731 View Post
    HI
    Certificates have never done much more
    I have several drafting certificates and AutoCAD professional certificates; and quite frankly they have never got me a job or made any difference to any job or employer. My work ethic and reputation have gotten my much farther.
    I guess that is how it works for most things right. Your experience matters than the certificates or degrees. They do matter but more than that the expereince does.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Stephbaker View Post
    I guess that is how works for most things right. Your experience matters than the certificates or degrees. They do matter but more than that the expereince does.
    And I guess the more we gain practical knowledge the better cause courses and unis do not teach the practical part but just the theoretical one.

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

AutoCAD is a tool used in many trades. Knowledge of the trade they're going to be working in is the most important thing. Everyone using Civil 3D in our office either had a degree in Engineering or many years of experience in the trade, none have ever had AutoCAD certification and only half had prior CAD experience. Before starting as a CAD tech 25 years ago I spent 19 years working with engineers as a surveyor and have a professional surveying license.

Easy enough to learn AutoCAD software on the PC in front of you everyday, but understanding how the data you're using was obtained and what the person the drawing is for needs from you as well as all the rules and regulations involved will always be more important in hiring someone.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

We just placed an ad for a Civil 3D designer position. A partner in the firm asked that I add something about certifications in posting so I simpey added that they would be a 'plus' ... whatever value that has.

I find applicants fall into either being able to draw, but not knowing what to draw, or they know what to draw, but don't know how. I need both as I need someone who has strong working knowledge of the software and its use in civil design projects in a production environment for at least 3 years. First three applicants have none of this.

Personally I have no Autodesk certifications, yet I am the CAD department manager, again. However, I am in the Autodesk Expert Elite program. I also have A+ and Net+ certifications.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by MMccall View Post

Personally I have no Autodesk certifications, yet I am the CAD department manager, again. However, I am in the Autodesk Expert Elite program.
    Ditto. I've taken several of the Autodesk "certification" tests in years past. They might weed out totally unqualified testers (say someone off the street with no CAD experience), but just because someone passes these tests doesn't necessarily mean anything.
    I've seen users who could pass these tests, whom I would not want working on my jobs.
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast