Thread: How to grade between non-parallel feature lines

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default How to grade between non-parallel feature lines

How do you grade say up hill at a specific grade from one feature line to another feature line if the lines are not parallel? I.E. the stepped offset does not apply (nor the distance grading) and you simply want the grading to stop when it reaches the higher feature line?
    Thanks
    TT

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: How to grade between non-parallel feature lines

this might help. https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/civil...911783#M203253

go to the solved post.....message 6 of 10.

hope this helps.

i just tried it and couldn't get it to work properly, only some of the points had the right grade
    Last edited by rmk; 2018-06-02 at 10:08 PM.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Thanks but the ultimate goal of the grading is to create a graded surface. The Adjacent Elevations by Reference command may set some grades on the adjacent feature line but there is no surface created between the lines. And you cannot control the number of connection lines. I am with the author of the post in that this definitely needs to be added to a wish list. Granted I am using the 2017 version and maybe they finally addressed this need in the 2019 version...one can only hope. There is simply no reason the program could not do this. Since the program knows where these two feature lines are in 3D space there is no reason it could not create a grade and surface between them. Further, the author states that the Adjacent...command is not dynamic but static. Why? Also I am surprised that an Autocad App author has not addressed this need. I just looked on the app page and there is nothing even close. I for one would be interested in giving a fair price for this feature.
    TT

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

why do you need to grade to that line? just curious. couldn't you just use the two feature lines and add them as breaklines to a surface?

Login to Give a bone

Are you wanting to set the elevations of the second feature line to match a specific grade? Then change the site of the second feature line to a site different from the first feature line. Create a grading object with the desired slope from the first feature line. I'm assuming your grading objects are also creating a surface. Then set the second feature line elevations to the surface elevations. You can choose to add additional elevation points along the second feature line. Once the second feature line is at the desired elevations, delete the grading object previously created.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

i'm still a little unclear as to the end result. can you post a picture of what you're trying to accomplish?