See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Switching X-Ref Company logos

Login to Give a bone

Default Switching X-Ref Company logos

This might be more complex than i am hoping but there has to be a way to get this done. The company i work for is registered with different names in certain states for legal reasons. Thus said we have different logos to X-ref in the drawings depending on location, we are having trouble updating these. What i am thinking would be easy to do is create a field for the address block and somehow use that to change the log reference file path. All working with AutoCAD and open to Lisp or any other method.

The logos would all be set up as a block (dynamic im sure) and somehow linking the field for the state into the reference path.....any thoughts at all would be helpful.

Thanks in advance

JJ

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Switching X-Ref Company logos

A lot is possible using AutoLISP, however, you will need to make sure your setup is consistent.

I would think using visibility states in a dynamic block could be one solution. You could then check another aspect of the drawing, such as the a portion of the drawing prefix, using AutoLISP to determine the correct visibility for the drawing.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Login to Give a bone

Will the logo be consistent across a project?
    If so, you could give both logo DWG files the same name (e.g.: "ourlogo.dwg"), then put the appropriate one in the same folder as the sheet files.
    Then all your sheet files, no matter the desired logo could reference the same xref ("ourlogo.dwg"), but they will always find the one in the same folder as the parent DWG file.
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

Login to Give a bone

Opie,

I have a block set up with using visibility states for each state variation of our logo using the abbreviations (AL, AR, OH, etc..) Would there be a way to have a LISP routine that could lookup the state in the title block/site address (using a custom field filled out under drawing properties that would just be fore the state) and then change the logo based on that? Or am i thinking to complex...just want this to try and be error proof as possible.

I appreciate the help....sorry ite been a while since i have worked on this block.

Login to Give a bone

My two cents...
    We typically use an xreffed title block for a project, which shows up in all sheets for that project.
    So once all the project-level information is filled out, you never have to touch it again, and that would include your logo (visibility).

Sounds like you intend on editing a bunch of drawings with separate (dynamic) title blocks?

I think you're making it too complicated..
    (instead of building a barn you should shoot the horse.... kidding of course.. we like to have fun here)

Unless I'm misunderstanding the issue that is

Login to Give a bone

Tedg,

Essentially that is what we do as well, but we also have multiple Company logos depending on how we are registered in varying states. The issue at hand is some of my drafters forget to update the logo reference based on state location and the "Higher" ups aren't liking that is happening so they want a somewhat automated way to handle it rather than having to change the xref path each time.

I am sure there has to be a way to accomplish this just trying to find the simplest way if we are typing in the site address it can update to the correct logo. OR when we start a new template it prompts for which state the project is in and can go that route too.

I need to either find a way or shut down all possibilities to make the bosses happy. So this could end up being along thread.

Thanks!

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

You could structure your dynamic title block such that the user would choose a state from a list (block table) which would supply the text to the title block for the chosen state along with selecting a the appropriate visibility state for displaying the correct logo for that state. Simple combo of an attribute for the state name and a visibility parameter to go with it.

New idea: Simply name the visibility states with the state name and then use a filed in the state attribute to show the name of the visibility state chosen.
    Last edited by MMccall; 2018-07-17 at 07:32 PM.

Login to Give a bone

MMccall,

I am liking your thought, works out great in my opinion. Now to see if it satisfies what the "Higher-Ups" are looking for.

Thanks for all the input everyone.....