Thread: Workset Filters Built into Project Template?

Login to Give a bone

Default Workset Filters Built into Project Template?

I think I've searched extensively enough to post a thread on this subject, as I can't find answers elsewhere.

I need to build graphic overrides for links into the project template. This is for an MEP template to control the architecture and structural links (both Revit and AutoCAD).

My first thought was to build in dummy links, but when the link is replaced, the name change resets the overrides built into the View Templates.

My second idea was to build the overrides into Filters. With the links on a X_Links workset, a Filter set to that workset could be used to override the graphics. BUT, worksets aren't part of project template files, so I can't build that in either. I can create a Filter within a workshared file, but it would have to be done on each project manually.

The third option appears to be having an RVT workshared "template" file, that new projects are detached from, instead of the typical RTE file. I've read of this approach elsewhere, especially for building in the company standard worksets, but it seems backwards and could lead to errors when users start projects incorrectly.

So my question to the community is, do you see another way to build this functionality into an RTE file?

My thanks in advance.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Workset Filters Built into Project Template?

To get around your first issue, have multiple dummy links. When you go to load in the actual Arch or Struct link use the reload from and you should be all set.
    You can't have worksets in a template file.
    Here's another thought.
    Since you're MEP, you should ever be modeling Anything that's a structural component. So just halftone those categories in your template or set up a filter based on those categories. Similar for the Walls, Doors, Floors..... Arch stuff.
    There's a few things like light fixtures, plumbing fixtures, Air Terminals, maybe mechanical equipment and those kind of things where you might find some overlap. That's where having a company standard naming convention helps. We use the first letter of our company name to start the name of every family. If your using systems, that's another option you could do. Or in some of those cases you may not want to see their fixture or switch or you might want to see you own. Just turn it off in their link. There's ways around it. Personally I'd hate using worksets to filter things. Think of how many times someone put something on a wrong workset or layer in cad.
    Just my 2 cents