Thread: Visibility Parameter

Login to Give a bone

Default Visibility Parameter

I am in 2019 but that wasnt a choice in the Prefix area and it refused to let me post unless I choose one.

I have created a structural beam family with 2 types, slotted and solid and I have a type material parameter set for each type. I need to represent the slots in the slotted type. I have set the slots up as void extrusions in an array because the size of the beam changes and I have not been able to set a parameter that flexes the array with the length. Not even sure if that is possible but it is not my main concern right now.
    I need to set the array up to be visible only when the SLOTTED Family type is used and I dont want it to show in the SOLID. I thought I could set this up as a type parameter and set the SOLID to 0. NOPE, Revit doesnt like that at all.
    I am not completely new to families and parameters, but I am still early in the learning phase. I thought I could set up a visibility yes/no parameter but I clearly have no idea how to write the formula or even if what I am trying to do is possible. I have been scouring the web and found very few things about formulas at all and the ones I have found are written in a way I just dont seem to understand.
    I may need to set them up as two separate families to get this to work, Im not sure, hence me being here trying to solicit help.
    I am attaching the family and any help is greatly appreciated.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Visibility Parameter

What I have read elsewhere when similar issues were raised was that, since a visibility parameter will not work on voids, the way to control whether or not the voids cut the beam would be to have the array locked to a reference plane and then set up a dimension type parameter between that reference plane and another one that is associated with the beam. For the slotted type, provide a value for the dimension parameter that positions the voids to cut the beam. For the solid type, provide a value that moves the array away from the beam such that the array of voids does not intersect the beam.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dkoch View Post
    What I have read elsewhere when similar issues were raised was that, since a visibility parameter will not work on voids, the way to control whether or not the voids cut the beam would be to have the array locked to a reference plane and then set up a dimension type parameter between that reference plane and another one that is associated with the beam. For the slotted type, provide a value for the dimension parameter that positions the voids to cut the beam. For the solid type, provide a value that moves the array away from the beam such that the array of voids does not intersect the beam.
    Ok, this makes sense to me. I get what you are saying about the ref planes for the slotted. Would I just attach the plane to the last array hole? Would there need to be a formula so that it flexed with the beam if the length changes? Currently I just have the array set up as a parameter and I am having to adjust the array number according to the beam size.
    I understand what you are saying about the solid, but I am cluesless as to how or where to set that value up. Can you go into a little more detail please?
    Thank you for your help by the way, it is greatly appreciated.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Revit Face Punch View Post
    Ok, this makes sense to me. I get what you are saying about the ref planes for the slotted. Would I just attach the plane to the last array hole? Would there need to be a formula so that it flexed with the beam if the length changes? Currently I just have the array set up as a parameter and I am having to adjust the array number according to the beam size.
    I understand what you are saying about the solid, but I am cluesless as to how or where to set that value up. Can you go into a little more detail please?
    Thank you for your help by the way, it is greatly appreciated.
    Apologies in advance - I tried to put together an example family, but ran into some issues. Getting the reference planes with which I planned to move the voids was easy. I had problems controlling an array of void extrusions made directly in the structural member family, however. Then I tried creating a family for the void, and, eventually was able to control that, but was unable to get the nested void to cut the structural member, making the controlled array useless. Using a face-based family for the nested void works to cut the structural member, but only if the face-based family is hosted on a face of the structural member. I am starting to think that two separate families - one solid, and one with slots, may be the way to go.

I will keep trying to get this to work but I will note that I will be on vacation next week, and for most of the week I will not have access to a computer with Revit, so it may be a while before I can get back to this.

Perhaps another person who has already solved this problem can chime in with an approach that works.

Login to Give a bone

Thought I could be clever and, in a face-based Void family, set the Void up so that it was not hosted to the face of the element in the family, but to a work plane/reference plane that was 6" above the element top, and then provide a parameter to control the "length" (vertical in the family) of the Void. In the Void family, it worked - I could make the length 3" and the element would not be cut. I could make it long enough to penetrate the element completely, and the element was cut.

BUT (there always seems to be a "but"), when loaded into the structural member family and placed on the front face of the structural member (a simple rectangular prism), changing the parameter to which I tied the length of the Void to 3" resulted in an error: "Can't cut instance(s) of Face Based Void Cube - Offset out of its host." (Face Based Void Cube - Offset is the name of the Void family.)

Login to Give a bone

I had to finally concede and find a work around that was acceptable to the parties involved. I ended up creating 2 separate families one for solid and one for slotted. Since the void array was acting crazy and I wasnt always able to control where they ended visually, we compromised and set up a slot at each end with a locked length parameter so that a slot could be seen at both ends of the beam.
    Thank you for trying, I appreciate that. I attached both families for reference.
    Attached Files Attached Files