See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vehicle Tracking

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Vehicle Tracking

I have done the googling and seen all the replies essentially saying you have to accept the warning message unless you upgrade to the current vehicle tracking.

Is the vehicle tracking embedded in Civil 3D now or is that a additional outside application running that another user has installed?

I feel like this is one of those unnecessary products that will gum-up Civil3D and I would like to track the source so that if it is not an embedded Civil3D product I can isolate the source and plan other measures to keep it out of my dwgs.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Vehicle Tracking

It's not embedded into Civil 3D.

With a C3D install (2017 and later I believe), there is a folder that gets created in "C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Autodesk Vehicle Tracking 20xx" - but AFAIK, it just contains files to allow you to see AVT objects. Essentially an Object Enabler.
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Vehicle Tracking and other software comes with the current "Architecture Engineering & Construction Collection", but was not included with the older "Infrastructure Design Suite". Like rkmcswain said you wouldn't have anything more than an Object Enabler if all you're paying for is Civil 3D.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

When we upgraded to 2018 with the AEC collection Vehicle Tracking has it's own tab in the ribbon. I have been using it on a current project to create parking lot layouts and to make sure my parking lot is big enough for a vehicle with a trailer. So far, I have not found it to "gum" up anything and have been happy with the results. Just my two cents.

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by tntdraftsol View Post
    When we upgraded to 2018 with the AEC collection Vehicle Tracking has it's own tab in the ribbon. I have been using it on a current project to create parking lot layouts and to make sure my parking lot is big enough for a vehicle with a trailer. So far, I have not found it to "gum" up anything and have been happy with the results. Just my two cents.
    As they're intelligent objects they can be edited at any time which is a major improvement over the AutoTurn software we used to use. It aggregated me that it was never included with Infrastructure Design Suite as either it or AutoTurn are needed to design most turning movements. I haven't had any issues with Vehicle Tracking either.

Login to Give a bone

For efficiency, FWIW; I document for users what the pertinent radii are for various vehicles, so 'design' can be done per criteria without the need for AutoTURN or AVT.

Also note that AVT 'breaks' backwards comaptibility from 2019 --> 2018... In annoying as helk message form only... Because of poor programming (no actual harm is done to DWG database, AFAIK): https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/civil...y/td-p/8051334

Cheers
    Last edited by BlackBox; 2019-03-25 at 06:38 PM.
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

All AUGI, all the time Liamnacuac's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Beauford View Post
    As they're intelligent objects they can be edited at any time which is a major improvement over the AutoTurn software we used to use. It aggregated me that it was never included with Infrastructure Design Suite as either it or AutoTurn are needed to design most turning movements. I haven't had any issues with Vehicle Tracking either.
    I have seen contractors that are still on projects in 2016 (for some reason) that have scripts they use for printing thousands of .pdf's, and these broke because of the pop up messages. Although I see the obvious solution, I also see the obvious problem.

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Liamnacuac View Post
    I have seen contractors that are still on projects in 2016 (for some reason) that have scripts they use for printing thousands of .pdf's, and these broke because of the pop up messages. Although I see the obvious solution, I also see the obvious problem.
    Seems to be working great for everyone that's used it, what problem do you see?

Reality is that turning movements for design vehicles like garbage, school, or fire trucks are typically required for most civil projects. Vehicle Tracking does a better job than AutoTurn. While there is freeware alternatives for doing this I doubt if any of them would be accepted by a permitting agency.

All AUGI, all the time Liamnacuac's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Beauford View Post
    Seems to be working great for everyone that's used it, what problem do you see?

The problem is when someone is relying on a product to work consistently based on tools that have been in existence for twenty years or so, and without warning Autodesk adds a product that, although is beneficial in almost all aspects, causes a irreversible error for a user who may not have the time to look for another solution. What I mean by the obvious solution is, follow Autodesk's protocol for upgrading, and this would not be an issue.

Reality is that turning movements for design vehicles like garbage, school, or fire trucks are typically required for most civil projects. Vehicle Tracking does a better job than AutoTurn. While there is freeware alternatives for doing this I doubt if any of them would be accepted by a permitting agency.
    I have used both, and I kind of feel it's a little apples and oranges, only from a development point of view. Autoturn has been around a long long time, and they have built their product on a platform based up and toward a market, whereas Autodesk has had the advantage of starting fresh and with a better market idea. I remember Vehicle Tracking being a module for Civil 3D a couple of versions back, wasn't it?

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Liamnacuac View Post
    I have used both, and I kind of feel it's a little apples and oranges, only from a development point of view. Autoturn has been around a long long time, and they have built their product on a platform based up and toward a market, whereas Autodesk has had the advantage of starting fresh and with a better market idea. I remember Vehicle Tracking being a module for Civil 3D a couple of versions back, wasn't it?
    Correct, though it's been around for many years before that. Autodesk bought it in 2013.

Autodesk Expands Infrastructure Design and Analysis Portfolio with Acquisition of Sam and AutoTrack Software
    https://lidarmag.com/2013/08/20/auto...rack-software/

While Autoturn was widely used in the US AutoTrack has always been more advanced and used more outside the US. While we'd looked at it many years ago we stayed with Autoturn because it was cheaper. Once it became part of a package from Autodesk it was a no brainer. No more compatibility issues or having to wait to use a new Civil 3D release till the new release of Autoturn came out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast