See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Installer For Autodesk AutoCAD 2004 LT

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Installer For Autodesk AutoCAD 2004 LT

Quote Originally Posted by cadtag View Post
    I think you're missing the point... the software itself is copyrighted, that means that the owner of the copyright sets the terms and conditions for _anyone_ to make a copy, With statutory damages up in the stratosphere, no one here is likely to bootleg a copy of the media or host iso images of the CDs. Its' really that simple -- autodesk owns the bat, ball, and playing field and they make no money by making old versions available. And money is the only reason the CEO has to do anything...

what is legal is to sell/transfer the original physical media, and if I had a 2004LT CD i'd be happy to sell it to you for a reasonable price -- say half what an annual rental fee would be. Sadly, I don't
    Not quite. You are allowed to make back ups of the installers for recovery purposes. Prohibiting resale of the data is difficult to enforce, while it could be done its usually handled on the activation side which boils down to having a valid serial number etc. If the contract is current/up-to-date its easier for Autodesk to look the other way.

As for retaining copies... everyone is responsible for their own backups. I wouldn't (and don't) rely on anyone, Autodesk or third-party, to keep backups of something this critical. Ours used to be handled via our normal backups - if the building burned to the ground, we could be back up and running without any downloads.

While Autodesk makes little money on old versions, trying to support them with the high probability of compatibility issues is just throwing money down the toilet in support time. Not to mention the PR problems of people inevitably screaming that Autodesk software doesn't work (while conveniently leaving out what they're trying to do... but hey, we're in a "post truth" era, who cares...).

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Installer For Autodesk AutoCAD 2004 LT

Yes, the licensee can typically make a backup for their own use, whether that can/could include multiple copies, or can even be done, is a choices of the copyright owner. No-one is entitled to copy the software the licensed, even for their own use, unless allowed (generally through a EULA) to do so by the rights holder. While common practice, the privilege of making a backup is not an automatic entitlement.

I completely agree that any organization/person must take responsibility for handling their own mission critical backups. Expecting/hoping that vendor or third party will be able to come to the rescue is not being pessimistic enough. Murphy really was an optimist - everything fails and if you want to recover, you have to prepare before the future incident become a present problem.

Personal experience speaking -- a recent Win10 update conflicted with my Intel SSD boot disk, rendering my home PC unusable until I replaced the boot drive. biggest hassle was getting a new SSD delivered from Newegg, after that a re-install of Win10 from USB recovery drive, and migrating data files was simple. (on the plus side, that was one way (admittedly extreme) to clear out the registry cruf and odd-ball software that accumulates over time). The intel disk itself is fine as a data disk, and now sits in an external case, but there have been reports of Win10 crashing on those disks and I got to experience that first hand.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12