Thread: Best Practices for a single finish schedule for a project with multiple buildings

Login to Give a bone

Default Best Practices for a single finish schedule for a project with multiple buildings

Hello,

I'm relatively new to revit and trying to find the best way to go about creating a single finish schedule that will work with 6 different models (buildings) that are linked.

Thanks in advance!

JMC

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Best Practices for a single finish schedule for a project with multiple buildings

You can schedule items in linked files (there is a check box for that on the Fields tab of the Schedule Properties dialog). Whether that will work for you will depend upon how you do your finish schedules.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Best Practices for a single finish schedule for a project with multiple buildings

Thank you David, i guess that is my question, being new to revit...how do i go about setting up this single finish schedule? can you recommend any specific tutorials that will meet my needs given that we know i'll be linking it to 5 other models?

Login to Give a bone

Are you scheduling finishes by room? Or just listing all the finishes used in the schedule, with some sort of keying to indicate which is used where?

If you are scheduling by room, and the room objects hold all the finish data, it should not matter whether everything is in one model or if some rooms are in linked models, provided the toggle to include objects from linked files in the schedule is checked.

Login to Give a bone

Hi David,

We will have both as follows:
    Finish Legend - listing each material with code (ie PT-1) with manufacturer, model #, color/finish etc.
    Room Finish Schedule - listing room by room with columns for Floor finish, base finish, Wall Finish (n,e,s,w) and ceiling finish

the latter i'm most concerned with. I read in one forum that this room finish schedule should live in the "host" file which links all the others, do you agree with this or can it "live" in any one particular model as long as it's linked and as you said "toggle to include objects from linked files, checked"?

for the finish legend I set it up using the material takeoff schedule as was advised in numerous forums online and we are currently building all of the finish materials in revit and identifying them as necessary for them to "read"/show up in this legend. Not finding a lot of info on doing this in revit online so sort of shooting from the hip. Hopefully we won't run into any issues as we get into CD's. FYI. we plan on modeling ALL finishes so in theory this should work, right? Also, should this legend "live" in the same model as the Room Finish Schedule as it must be linked to ALL models?

Sorry to go on, just want to go about both legend and schedule the correct way.

Thanks again!

Login to Give a bone

The model that has the finish schedule would have to have all of the other models linked into it, in order for the rooms in those models to be included. It should be in the model in which the sheet on which the finish schedule will be placed is created.

I do not have much experience with material takeoff schedules, but I imagine that all of the models would need to be linked into the file where that is created as well, or at least enough models to get each material into the finish legend schedule.

Login to Give a bone

it seems there aren't too many people out there who do this which i find hard to believe. nonetheless, thank you for your replies...i appreciate it!