Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ActiveX Server returned the error: unknown name: GetBoundingBox

Design Visualization Moderator stusic's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: ActiveX Server returned the error: unknown name: GetBoundingBox

Is there a good reference for this? I'm having trouble deciphering whether I'm working with a definition, a reference, or an instance.

What does SSGET select? How about vla-select? How do I know what I'm working with? How do I know what functions select what? I'm a little confused, lol.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by stusic View Post
    I found the vla-get-IsXref property recently and got pretty excited.
    IsXref Property is quite useful.

2018-09-25_11-17-55.png

"It'll be easy!", I said.

"I can just run through vla-get-IsXref, vla-get-Name, and vla-getboundingbox!", I said.

Reminds me of this passage from a book I recently read:

Quote Originally Posted by Jocko Willink
    People look for the shortcut. The hack. And if you came here looking for that: You won't find it. The shortcut is a lie. The hack doesn't get you there. And if you want to take the easy road, it won't take you where you want to be: Stronger. Smarter. Faster. Healthier. Better. FREE.

To reach goals and overcome obstacles and become the best version of you possible will not happen by itself. It will not happen cutting corners, taking shortcuts, or looking for the easy way.

There is only hard work, late nights, early mornings, practice, rehersals, repetition, study, sweat, blood, toil, frustration, and discipline. DISCIPLINE.

There must be discipline.

Discipline: The root of all good qualities. The driver of daily execution. The core principle that overcomes laziness and lethargy and excuses. Discipline defeats the infinite excuses that say: Not today, not now, I need a rest, I will do it tomorrow.

What's the hack? How do you become stronger, smarter, faster, healthier? How do you become better? How do you acheive true freedom?

There is only one way.

The way of discipline.

Thanks. I have so much to learn.
    Everyone starts somewhere; get after it.

If you happen to read that book (or listen to it; it's free on Spotify, Apple Music, etc)... I think you'll find the chapter on "Good" (page 58 ) to be of particular interest.

Cheers
    Last edited by BlackBox; 2018-09-25 at 05:14 PM.
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBox View Post
    IsXref Property is quite useful.
    Only if you know how to use it. /s

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBox View Post
    Reminds me of this passage from a book I recently read:
    I wasn't trying to look for a shortcut or cut corners, but when I need to find xrefs, get their name and their dimensions, vla-get-IsXref, vla-get-Name, and vla-getboundingbox seemed like a logical place to start.

I'm just frustrated. So many times I'll spend a ton of time planning and writing a routine just to find out at the end that I'm using the wrong type of some sort. I've spent the better part of two days figuring out what I need and writing code to do it, then learned I have to go about it a completely different way. And the last code I posted still doesn't work the way I need. And this is just a small part of a much larger program.

Now I'm trying to think of how to do what I actually need to do and frankly I'm at a loss. The code I posted above doesn't work with nested xrefs and that's exactly what I need. Iterating through the block collection gets me all the xref names, but I can't get the bb. SSGET gets the bb, but I don't know how to access nested xrefs. I could do both separately, but then I'll need to find a way to make sure the correct dims are associated with the correct xref.

Thanks, but no time to read books my friend (did add it to my for later list tho'). I do appreciate the help from everyone; you all have the patience of saints.

Login to Give a bone

Is there a good reference for this? I'm having trouble deciphering whether I'm working with a definition, a reference, or an instance.

What does SSGET select? How about vla-select? How do I know what I'm working with? How do I know what functions select what? I'm a little confused, lol.
    The ActiveX Object Model is your friend.

Within a given drawing Document, a BlockReference (aka a Block you insert and assign a Layer) is an instance of a Block Definition (aka a BlockTableRecord, member of the BlockTable)... There is only one Block Definition, but there can be many Blocks (aka BlockReferences) in the canvas of your drawing.

To get the BoundingBox for XREF Blocks (also BlockReferences) using LISP, one can select entities with Type == "INSERT" which applies to both Blocks and XREFs, then filter for the respective Block's (aka BlockReference's) Block Definition IsXref == true.

So make your selection, iterate that to build a list of (list (<blockName1> (list <vla-Objects>)) (<blockName2> (list <vla-Objects>))) that represent the Block (aka BlockReference) EffectiveNames, which are not necessarily the same as Names, then iterate that list to filter for only those who's Block Definition (aka BlockTableRecord) with an IsXref Property == true, thereby iterating that <blockName>'s list of <vla-Objects> and obtain your BoundingBox. Lemon squeezy.

Cheers
    Last edited by BlackBox; 2018-09-25 at 05:51 PM.

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

Only if you know how to use it. /s
    You're nearly there... You can almost reach out and grab it for yourself.

I wasn't trying to look for a shortcut or cut corners, but when I need to find xrefs, get their name and their dimensions, vla-get-IsXref, vla-get-Name, and vla-getboundingbox seemed like a logical place to start.

I'm just frustrated. So many times I'll spend a ton of time planning and writing a routine just to find out at the end that I'm using the wrong type of some sort. I've spent the better part of two days figuring out what I need and writing code to do it, then learned I have to go about it a completely different way. And the last code I posted still doesn't work the way I need. And this is just a small part of a much larger program.
    Nor was I trying to suggest that you were (obviously) - perhaps it's just a different mindset - I expect everything to be hard and am thrilled when something's not.

Your starting point logic is sound, you merely forgot to observe what Object each Property or Method applies to before spending the time to troubleshoot... Had you done so, I am confident you'd have solved this yourself without the frustration, my friend.

Now I'm trying to think of how to do what I actually need to do and frankly I'm at a loss. The code I posted above doesn't work with nested xrefs and that's exactly what I need. Iterating through the block collection gets me all the xref names, but I can't get the bb. SSGET gets the bb, but I don't know how to access nested xrefs. I could do both separately, but then I'll need to find a way to make sure the correct dims are associated with the correct xref.
    Between the hidden 'spoiler' I offered previously, and my last post, I believe I've walked you through that, no?

Thanks, but no time to read books my friend (did add it to my for later list tho'). I do appreciate the help from everyone; you all have the patience of saints.
    No worries; everyone has things to do. (It is also available on Spotify, Apple Music for free, FWIW)

Also, a point of clarification, before anyone gets the wrong idea that I'm somehow a patient person... Of the many gifts I was given, patience was not among them (which is how I have time for books Haha).

We've got your back, stusic.

Cheers

Computer Specs:

Login to Give a bone

That explanation was very enlightening and helped give me a better mindset (and thank you; your last post helped quite a bit too). I'm starting to kinda "get it". This is the first time I've looked at the ActiveX Object Model and actually see what's it's telling me

I got this. Thanks for your help; I'm sure I'll be back :P

Login to Give a bone

That explanation was very enlightening and helped give me a better mindset (and thank you; your last post helped quite a bit too). I'm starting to kinda "get it". This is the first time I've looked at the ActiveX Object Model and actually see what's it's telling me

I got this. Thanks for your help; I'm sure I'll be back :P
    Glad we were able to help, stusic.

Moments of epiphany are incredibly empowering; as for mindset, that's why I changed my signature.

Cheers

Computer Specs:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12