Thread: Tutorials on how to modify a SSM sheet list table

I could stop if I wanted to LanceMcHatton's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Tutorials on how to modify a SSM sheet list table

I'm having issues with the sheet list table. Trying to find answers on AUGI only frustrates me since there are only answers to specific issues whereas I have almost all the issues. Does anyone know of any tutorials on how to modify the fiddlesticks out of the sheet list? Please pardon my language.

Some of the issues I am having are:
    Trying to change the color of a cell outline only changes the verticals
    Changing the outline color doesn't stick when I go back into the editor
    Making a table style out of the current table doesn't keep the text justifications
    Not able to specify columns of a specific width or height
    Etc., etc.

Any videos out there only seem to cover the fact that the sheet list exists and how to insert it. They usually say, "Sheet lists! Yes! Right-click, insert! There it is! You're all done!" But that's not enough information.

I'm just at an all-around loss. It would be nice to know it's limits, too. Maybe I'm asking too much from it. Maybe, even though it's been around for years, the sheet list is just not "there" yet. It just doesn't make sense that it's so complicated and unfriendly. I've been using AutoCAD for 30 years so I've been able to understand dimension styles, XREFs, LISP, etc. Heck, I even figured out how to use detail references with the sheet set manager so I know I'm not hopeless.

Any help would be very appreciated.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Tutorials on how to modify a SSM sheet list table

Sheet Sets were a great idea, that has had no additional development work since the initial release lo those many years ago. I suspect that the developers who worked on it, and the managers that championed it, have long since left Autodesk and that no-one left there knows or cares about something as plebian and workaday as SSM.

Bottom line I guess is that if the Sheet list out of the box doesn't wok the way you want, is that it _can't_. One of the reason I gave up on that part of SSM as useless. SSM is still useful, and I use it on any job that takes more than two or three sheets, but more as an organizational tool and field manager than what it could have been updated to accomplish.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cadtag View Post
    Sheet Sets were a great idea, that has had no additional development work since the initial release lo those many years ago. I suspect that the developers who worked on it, and the managers that championed it, have long since left Autodesk and that no-one left there knows or cares about something as plebian and workaday as SSM.
    ... Please add Tool Palettes and Design Center to the Island of Misfit [AutoCAD Features].
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

I could stop if I wanted to LanceMcHatton's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Wow, ok. Those were answers I wasn't really expecting. Personally, I've become fairly disenchanted with AutoCAD over the last few years simply because they seem to focus mainly on BIM, cloud, and devices and I have absolutely no need for any of it. Now, after hearing this, I'm wondering why we're being forced to pay so much for abandoned functionality. I guess I'll just keep watching the other alternative to see when it meets my standards to start using.

Login to Give a bone

good plan. while no doubt there are still passionate driven people doing their best at Autodesk, the corporation is focused solely on a rent-seeking strategy to milk as much revenue as possible as quickly as possible. That's par for corporations these days so neither unusual nor unexpected. Disappointing though to those of us who actually want to make things.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

I have been using sheet list tables with many of my projects without much trouble - they include drawing number, title, scale and even revision number. However the problem you have is not so much with sheet sets but more with tables.
    Perhaps someone in the tables forum can help you.