See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Enhanced attributes - edit font globally

Login to Give a bone

Default Enhanced attributes - edit font globally

Hi Folks,

I've just received a drawing file from a surveyor, and as usual, it needs a bit of tidying up ... no big deal.

However, the blocks in the drawing are using enhanced attributes, and I can't figure out how to update the font of the attribute globally in the drawing.

Any suggestions?

Cheers ...

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Enhanced attributes - edit font globally

Quote Originally Posted by John_C View Post
    Hi Folks,

I've just received a drawing file from a surveyor, and as usual, it needs a bit of tidying up ... no big deal.

However, the blocks in the drawing are using enhanced attributes, and I can't figure out how to update the font of the attribute globally in the drawing.

Any suggestions?

Cheers ...
    Well not knowing exactly what you're dealing with, if you're just trying to update the attribute font globally, I would assume you could edit the block (Refedit works) and change the assigned font to the attributes, and save.
    Then use the attsync command and it "should" update all of them.

If that doesn't work, maybe you could post a sample drawing with what you have and what you're trying to achieve.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by tedg View Post
    Well not knowing exactly what you're dealing with ...
    Hi Ted,

Thanks for the suggestions, but unfortunately I'm no further forward. As for an explanation, it's a bit tricky to explain because I really don't understand what's going on, and it's not like I'm new to this game.

Trying REFEDIT on the block doesn't display the attributes as being within the block. Likewise running ATTSYNC returns the following ...

ATTSYNC.PNG

However double clicking on the block brings up the the _EATTEDIT dialogue box ...

EATTEDIT.PNG

EATTEDIT - Text.PNG

EATTEDIT - Properties.PNG

I'm not sure if it's significant, but the block itself is inserted on a layer called BLDG.

Like I say, this has got me scratching my head. I know I could probably get around the issue by editing the text style, but that won't help me in the future ... Give a man a fish, blah, blah, blah ...
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

I would think that you could use "battman" to change, sync, and apply aspects of the attributes' text that you need.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by david-k View Post
    I would think that you could use "battman" to change, sync, and apply aspects of the attributes' text that you need.
    Unfortunately that doesn't help, and gives the same error message as before.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Login to Give a bone

Hi Ted,

Thanks for the suggestions, but unfortunately I'm no further forward. As for an explanation, it's a bit tricky to explain because I really don't understand what's going on, and it's not like I'm new to this game.

Trying REFEDIT on the block doesn't display the attributes as being within the block. Likewise running ATTSYNC returns the following ...

ATTSYNC.PNG

However double clicking on the block brings up the the _EATTEDIT dialogue box ...

EATTEDIT.PNG

EATTEDIT - Text.PNG

EATTEDIT - Properties.PNG

I'm not sure if it's significant, but the block itself is inserted on a layer called BLDG.

Like I say, this has got me scratching my head. I know I could probably get around the issue by editing the text style, but that won't help me in the future ... Give a man a fish, blah, blah, blah ...
    Well I'm not sure "why" you can't get at the attributes, I know there are programs that create attributes to blocks that are not the vanilla ACAD method, which is probably why you can't get at them and ACAD doesn't acknowledge them.
    But I did notice they are using the style "standard" which is the native OOTB style.

You could simply assign the font you want to "standard".
    If you don't want re-assign a font to standard (because you're using it somewhere else like a line type), you can simply RENAME "standard" in a separate file with those blocks, you could even rename it to the style name you want.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Well I'm not sure "why" you can't get at the attributes, I know there are programs that create attributes to blocks that are not the vanilla ACAD method, which is probably why you can't get at them and ACAD doesn't acknowledge them ...
    Hi Ted,

Thanks for that, and you're dead right that the file was not created by acad. As I mentioned in the original post, it's a drawing from a surveyor, so the file will have been spat out of whatever survey software they use.

As you say, I don't want to re-define "Standard" to use the the Swiss font, because I prefer to be able to identify the objects in the drawing that have been imported so I can make the decision as to whether or not they are relevant.

However, what I hadn't considered was exporting the blocks to a separate file, rename "Standard" in that file, then re-importing back into the file I'm working with.

To me that's a "light-bulb" moment, 'cos it's great little trick to have in your arsenal, and I'm very sure that I'll make use of it in future.

Once again, many thanks ... I owe you a beer for that ...

Login to Give a bone

Hi Ted,

To me that's a "light-bulb" moment, 'cos it's great little trick to have in your arsenal, and I'm very sure that I'll make use of it in future.

Once again, many thanks ... I owe you a beer for that ...
    Work smarter not harder I always say!
    Glad I could help

Login to Give a bone

Work smarter ...
    I've got a few KISS "notices" stuck around the office, and the workshop too, so yup, I hear 'ya loud and clear ...

I'm just disappointed that I didn't think of that approach by myself ...