Thread: Shared Parameters: Way to set same parameter values of many different families in project at once?

Login to Give a bone

Default Shared Parameters: Way to set same parameter values of many different families in project at once?

I've just dipped my toes into Shared Parameters and I feel like I'm on the verge of discovering how to do something I've been trying to figure out for a while. Is there a way to set the same parameter value across many different families in a project at once?

For instance, all my windows and doors have trim which is a nested with instance parameters governing the shape and style of the trim linked through to the host window or door family. In the project, though, if I want to adjust the trim thickness, for example, I have to do it for every window or door type.

It seems like by making these parameters shared I can edit them all within a schedule, but it seems like there should be a way to simply tell Revit that I want ALL "Trim Thickness" shared parameters in EVERY loaded family to be of a certain value. Or, even better, if I could change the shared parameter value in one family and it would change that shared parameter value in all other loaded families.

Does this make sense? Is there a way to do this with shared parameters, or some other way? Thanks for your help.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Shared Parameters: Way to set same parameter values of many different families in project at once?

Create a schedule of the object in question, such as Windows. Include a column for the parameter you wish to change.

If you really want to set the value for all Windows to be the same, no need to set any Filters for the schedule. If you do want to limit the change to certain types, then apply Filters to get just the Windows you want to change.

On the Sorting and Grouping tab, uncheck itemize every instance to get the schedule to "collapse" and you can enter the desired value once and have it apply to all.

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Shared Parameters: Way to set same parameter values of many different families in project at once?

I think of a Shared Parameter file and the parameters it holds like a dictionary and the words it defines.

A such shared parameter is a device, it allows the same definition to be understood by both projects and families. The mere fact that they share a parameter does not also automatically mean all the values should be the same for all families. That is much too broad an assumption for Revit to make, it won't make it. If you create your own Unit Width shared parameter it is highly unlikely all your families should have the same Unit Width. In database terms you've created a place to store a value but the software makes no judgement on what those values should be apart from conforming to being alpha, number, integer, angle, and area ... etc.

David's suggestion is a practical way to apply the same value to elements that share a category and also use your shared parameters.