See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Copy Blocks from one DWG to an other DWG

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Copy Blocks from one DWG to an other DWG

Quote Originally Posted by tim_newsome View Post
    Thats not working
    Have you checked to see if the block is defined in the drawing?
    It could have been inserted on a locked layer or the layer it's entities are on may be on a locked layer.

Thaw All Layers to see if it shows up.

Login to Give a bone

What is the process to transfer blocks from one drawing in to another drawing?

Is this as frusturating for anyone else or is there some kind of setback bug in DesignCenter now?
    I just Cntrl C in one drawing and then Cntrl V in the other.

Login to Give a bone

Here are my steps - especially if either have been created/modified by others:

• Select old drawing
    • Select the block
    • Get the properties - check the name of the block
    • Select new drawing
    • Command line - RENAME
    • Is the block name there
    •• Rename one of the blocks in either the old drawing or new drawing. Skip if not needed
    • Select old drawing
    • Select the block
    • Copy - ctrl-C
    • Select the new drawing
    • Paste - ctrl-V
    • Follow prompts on command line for locating & scaling the block in the new drawing.

Yes there are other ways that I use but unless the block name is critical this should work 99.478% of the time.
    Last edited by lynx_20; 2018-11-29 at 06:27 PM.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by leshogg762024 View Post
    Select block
    Copybase (CTRL-SHIFT-C)
    Pick base point
    Change to new drawing
    Pasteblock (CTRL-SHIFT-V
    Pick insert point

Simples
    This will work fine if the OP isn't having the problem Tom and I pointed out (blocks with different definitions, but the same name). You will have to redefine the block to get it to display properly, otherwise CAD will just pull the drawing's already defined block block definition. I made a simple LISP for block insertion for our engineering team, and early on I got calls of "Hey your routine isn't inserting the right block anymore!" Naw, you're in an old drawing.

If you really want fast transferring you can set up a template/drawing with all your blocks in modelspace and then use this method to bring all the blocks in quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by lynx_20 View Post
    Yes there are other ways that I use but unless the block name is critical this should work 99.478% of the time.
    I ran the numbers on this, and it's actually closer to 99.513%

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

I've also seen users create a block from objects that are a great distance from 0,0 which works for copying the block in the drawing, but they couldn't figure where it went when they inserted it into another drawing. I'd have them zoom extents and it was always along the edge somewhere.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by CCarleton View Post
    This will work fine if the OP isn't having the problem Tom and I pointed out (blocks with different definitions, but the same name). You will have to redefine the block to get it to display properly, otherwise CAD will just pull the drawing's already defined block block definition. I made a simple LISP for block insertion for our engineering team, and early on I got calls of "Hey your routine isn't inserting the right block anymore!" Naw, you're in an old drawing.

If you really want fast transferring you can set up a template/drawing with all your blocks in modelspace and then use this method to bring all the blocks in quickly.

I ran the numbers on this, and it's actually closer to 99.513%
    This thread stuns me ... the responses, other than the Ctrl-C - Ctrl-V, seem to revel in making life complicated for everyone concerned, but perhaps it's because I've been using acad since it was a DOS application, and I still use the keyboard to call most commands.

If the OP is having issues and wants to replace the occurrences of block "A" in drawing "1" with the version of block "A" they have in drawing "2", I would do the following:

Open drawing "2",

Select an instance of block "A" in drawing "2"

Hit W, or WBLOCK if you prefer, and save the block to the desktop, or wherever

Capture.PNG

Open drawing "A"

Hit I, or INSERT if you prefer, and navigate to the block to the desktop, or wherever

At the warning message "do you want to replace all instances ... blah, blah, blah ...", hit "Y"

Congratulate yourself on a job well done, 'cos it really doesn't need to be any more complicated than that.

The only "complication" is that you will need to delete the block you have just inserted, but I would hope that people can figure that out for themselves.

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Is this as frusturating for anyone else or is there some kind of setback bug in DesignCenter now?
    This may be simplistic but, check to make sure your block is in model space and not paper space.

Craig M
    CMCAD Services

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by John_C View Post
    This thread stuns me ... the responses, other than the Ctrl-C - Ctrl-V, seem to revel in making life complicated for everyone concerned, but perhaps it's because I've been using acad since it was a DOS application, and I still use the keyboard to call most commands.
    There's a thousand ways to skin a cat, but I agree that if it's a simple block transfer copy paste is the way to go. I don't use ADC that much anymore outside of needing to grab a specific layout from an existing drawing. I don't know if I've ever used ADC for blocks. I think Tom and I went down the path we did because he was not able to transfer it in a way that should work if there wasn't a duplicate block definition issue.

Honestly, if it were me I'd probably REN the bad block, then copy and paste. I'll pass on wblocking it out.

Login to Give a bone

This is the small app that I wrote and use for merging drawings in to one file.
    Especially if you have the same block names, and the same dimension style names with different parameters in different files and you want to join these files under one file this app keeps the parameters of dim styles and prevents substitution of blocks.
    Its written in C#

https://cizimokulu.com/forums.php?m=...ygulamasi.html

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by DougNorton View Post
    Another alternate method if your Design Center is getting buggy, is to create a new Tool Palette, and just drag your block into the new Palette, then it will be available in any other drawing, just click and drag, man, click and drag.
    Doesn't answer why the Design Center isn't working, though... I'd guess along the lines of what earlier replies suggested, that the block already exists in your target drawing?
    Hope this helps
    If you ever going to use it more than once Type out wblock (Stands for Write Block and send them to a drawing you can use over and over again) We have a BH Blocks and a BH Blocks Dynamic. This way you can Pallettez these and use then countless times.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast