See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: IS SETTING THE POINT LABEL STYLE BACKGROUND MASK COLOR TO "BYLAYER" POSSIBLE?

Login to Give a bone

Default IS SETTING THE POINT LABEL STYLE BACKGROUND MASK COLOR TO "BYLAYER" POSSIBLE?

We want to create Point Label Styles using the layer color for the background mask. We want the text to print black (set to white in style) on top of a background of color (set to bylayer), so that placing the point on the layer changes the background of the text to the layer color.

The text, frame, and leader will print black (set to white in the style).

Can someone tell me if that is possible, please?

And if so, what are the options and steps to assigning it to the style?

Thanks in advance!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: IS SETTING THE POINT LABEL STYLE BACKGROUND MASK COLOR TO "BYLAYER" POSSIBLE?

What program are you using?
    C:> ED WORKING....

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: IS SETTING THE POINT LABEL STYLE BACKGROUND MASK COLOR TO "BYLAYER" POSSIBLE?

AutoCAD CIVIL 3D, Ver. 2018.2 Update

Login to Give a bone

I think it would get a better response in the C3D forum. I can move it if you like.
    C:> ED WORKING....

Login to Give a bone

YES! Thank you!

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Something like this? (Capture 3)

You should just need to edit the point label style and turn background mask on, and then the border. If you're looking to get the fill of the border to not be black I am not immediately seeing a way to tell it to do that, the bylayer function in the label style seems to be for the border color, not the fill (unlike in vanilla CAD objects where you can define a fill color). If you're embedding a layer into the point label style you also need to set that as well.

Just be sure to edit the dragged state component of the label as well as the layout tab houses the settings for if the label isn't dragged and the dragged state one is specifically setting up how it'll look if you, well, drag the label.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Thanks!

We've tried all the options in the point label style. We can get the text and border to change colors with the layer, but we'd like the "fill" background color to be the color assigned to the layer that we put the point on also.

The Dragged State is where it would be beneficial for how we use it. And we would use it, literally, hundreds of times in a drawing. The work around now is to place a point and then use mtext or mleader to type in the coords, etc. This leads to inefficiencies and errors, which we would like to eliminate or reduce the potential for.

MText has that option and Multileader styles can be edited to pick a color, but not point labels (that we've been able to find).
    Point Label Style Background Mask-2.jpg

Thanks so much for taking the time to post an answer!
    Last edited by LBuck; 2018-11-29 at 06:35 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Yeah, sorry after rereading I see more for what you're going for and I don't see anything for it or on google, it's weird that they don't have a fill option for it, when they do for the baseline CAD objects.

Login to Give a bone

Here is a work around not great but a work around
    select the points you want and drag them as desired, edit the label style so that Point number, elevation and description or desired info is all under the same dialog box. Then here it comes the unthinkable; explode them they will become mtext and leaders, reimport the necessary points

Login to Give a bone

CCarleton:

Yeah, I haven't found anything either. Most of my answers come from here though.

Thanks again for taking the time. I'll put something on the WishList and keep my fingers crossed. Of course, I'll probably be retired by the time they do anything! LOL

remi:
    Thank you for taking the time to post. I will say though your comment of "unthinkable" was on target. As many points as we have to label and relabel after survey updates, that would create more than my brain could handle keeping up with it all. But thanks!