Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Key Schedules and Shared Parameters

Login to Give a bone

Question Key Schedules and Shared Parameters

I just noticed (RB 9.1) that when creating a key schedule, shared parameters don't show up as parameters for that object category. Has this always been like this? For example I defined 3 shared parameters for doors and added them to the project for the door category. When I go to create a key schedule, these prameters don't show up. I have to create project parameters instead (not shared) for them to be available.

All AUGI, all the time robert.manna's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Key Schedules and Shared Parameters

can't you define the project parameter based on the same shared parameter file used for the doors? And, if so does it take correctly, ie, do you end up with two parameters, or one?

-R

Login to Give a bone

Yes, I can define the project parameter as a Project Parameter instead of a Shared Parameter. When pasting some schedules from other projects in fact I ended up with "duplicate" parameters (one was shared, one was project). I didn't think Revit would allow this....seems odd that a database would allow the same parameter name, type and category, with the only difference being whether they're shared or not. Anyway.....

I just don't know why a key schedule doesn't allow shared parameters. I'm not sure if it's always been this way. I prefer to use shared parameters because you can better control consistency (if a parameter is missing, you add it from the shared param file instead of risking mis-typing it in your project).

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dbaldacchino
    Yes, I can define the project parameter as a Project Parameter instead of a Shared Parameter.
    but project parameters can be shared parameters, so if what happens if you use the same shared parameter that was used in the doors. IE, the door shared parameter is defined in a shared param. file, so when you go to create a new project parameter, choose shared (then select from the door shared param. file) then what happens? Two parameters with same name? or one? Theoretically if both the shared parameter in the door family and the shared project door parameter are defined from the same shared param. file, then they should both have the same unique ID #, which means they should be the same. If Revit doesn't realize this, then I would expect that you would get some sort of error, if you don't get an error, that I would be very curous to know/see if the parameters behave consistently, either way, something is screwing in their programming....

-R

Login to Give a bone

Let me clarify.....my door families don't have these parameters in them. This simplifies things as they're not really required in the family and if we want to change their name for some reason, we'd just do it in the template.

The params. I'm talking about are "Detail @ Head", "Detail @ Jamb" and "Detail @ Sill". I added these to my shared params. file and then added these to the project template (as project parameters) for the door category. When you try to do a key schedule, these parameters don't show up. If instead you add parameters directly to your template as Project Parameters, then they're available in the key schedule.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Jumping in (haven't read the whole thread so apologies in advance)... I thought Shared Parameters where only available in a Project if they were also defined as Project Parameters... so what you're saying makes sense from my experiences.

Login to Give a bone

Ahhhhh! I see now said the blind man. I don't know what to say then.... What happens if the parameter is a shared parameter in the door file, and not a project parameter, does it become available in the key schedule?

-R

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by greg.mcdowell
    Jumping in (haven't read the whole thread so apologies in advance)... I thought Shared Parameters where only available in a Project if they were also defined as Project Parameters... so what you're saying makes sense from my experiences.
    Project parameters do not have to be shared parameters. Project parameters only need to be shared parameters if you want them in tags/titleblocks and or also want to define them in families created in the family editor, and don't want to always have to define them at the project level. Good example would be curtain panels, which can be system based or family editor based. However you probably want to define most/all parameters of the family based type when creating the family, instead of the project team always having to fill in that info once the family is loaded. On the other hand, in David's case, it makes sense to not included the parameters in the family, because it will always be different, unless you're super organized, and the same datail number is always used for specific door frame conditions.

Truth be told all our additional door parameters are in the doors, because you can always re-name the parameter in the schedule anyway, so as long as the parameter name makes sense from a user standpoint when creating doors, what the schedule says at the top of the column does not matter as much in the long run.

-R
    Last edited by robert.manna; 2006-10-30 at 06:24 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Here's an example. Take a look at the Project parameters. I defined one from a shared parameter file (ends in -SP) and one inside the template itself as a project parameter (ends in -PP). Open up the key schedule and note that only the PP is available.

EDIT: I had to upload an rvt file...cannot do rte.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by dbaldacchino; 2006-10-30 at 06:23 PM.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by robert.manna
    Project parameters do not have to be shared parameters. Project parameters
    I go thtat part... but when I create Shared Parameters the only way I've been able to get them editable in the Project (say in a schedule for example) is to also make them Project Parameters by selecting the S.P. when creating the P.P.

Or am I missing out on something?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast