See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Diameter symbol doesn't work after windows 10 upgrade

Login to Give a bone

Default Diameter symbol doesn't work after windows 10 upgrade

I'm having a strange issue with some font types displaying the diameter (%%C) symbol after upgrading to Windows 10. These issues weren't present prior to upgrading to windows 10, when my machine had windows 7 installed. I'm wondering if anybody else has had similar issues and if you had a fix.

We just updated some of our computers from Windows 7 x64 to Windows 10 x64. This is the first round of upgrading windows on some of our older machines. We have about 8 more that need to be upgraded, and about 10 other machines that shipped with windows 10.

Now when we use the diameter symbol on those upgraded machines (%%C) it shoots the symbol off somewhere in the drawing, miles away. This doesn't happen with the unicode version, just Autocad's built in %%C. And it's not with all fonts. It seems to be some TrueType fonts, but not all. For instance we use Tahoma for one client, and with it the diameter runs away. But if you use Arial, it is fine. I've tried different fonts, and with some it's fine, and others not.

If you open the same file on a computer with Win7, everything appears normal. If you open the same file on a computer that shipped with Win10, everything appears normal. But we upgraded 4 machines to Win10, and on all of those machines, if you open it the symbol goes haywire.

It seems to be for anything that uses mtext, mtext, mleaders, dimensions, etc. Single line text appears to be fine.

It seems to only be for the diameter symbol, other symbols (degrees, centerline, etc) all seem fine.

It's not specific to any version of autocad. I tried it in 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, and 2019, and got the same results in all versions.

If I go into the text editor, and Ctrl+A, and change the font to Arial, then the text all comes back together. I can then change it back to Tahoma, and it is fine, but if you look at it the diameter symbol is still shown as Arial, not Tahoma.

Changing the text style to Arial prevents it from happening on anything new added, but doesn't fix the existing ones. You have to go into each piece of text and select that diameter symbol and change the font to Arial.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled AutoCAD with no change.

I've reinstalled the Tahoma font which i got the file from one of our computers which doesn't have the problem. I wondered if some of the font files had been corrupted on the windows 10 upgrade. Nothing changed.

I got curious about what would happen with a diameter dimension. It works fine. If you explode that dimension, Autocad created the diameter symbol using Arial Font, even though the text style we have selected for the dim style uses tahoma font. This is on both my machine which has the problem, and others who don't.

Our client wants us to use Tahoma font as that is their standard.

Has anyone else ever experienced anything similar? Or does anyone have anything else to suggest trying? At this point I'm baffled. The only thing I can think of is to format the workstations, and install windows 10 from scratch, and just hope that that fixes it. Not ideal. I could try to tell all the drafters to use Unicode for the diameter symbol, or use Arial font when typing %%C, but that seems like a band-aid solution and not likely to be followed 100%.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Diameter symbol doesn't work after windows 10 upgrade

I'm not seeing this issue.

Another fix would be to use alt+0216, but the symbols are not the same so that may not be what you want. Personally that's all I've ever done for unique symbols like diameter or degrees.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by MajorWedgee View Post
    I'm having a strange issue with some font types displaying the diameter (%%C) symbol after upgrading to Windows 10. These issues weren't present prior to upgrading to windows 10, when my machine had windows 7 installed. I'm wondering if anybody else has had similar issues and if you had a fix.

We just updated some of our computers from Windows 7 x64 to Windows 10 x64. This is the first round of upgrading windows on some of our older machines. We have about 8 more that need to be upgraded, and about 10 other machines that shipped with windows 10.

Now when we use the diameter symbol on those upgraded machines (%%C) it shoots the symbol off somewhere in the drawing, miles away. This doesn't happen with the unicode version, just Autocad's built in %%C. And it's not with all fonts. It seems to be some TrueType fonts, but not all. For instance we use Tahoma for one client, and with it the diameter runs away. But if you use Arial, it is fine. I've tried different fonts, and with some it's fine, and others not.

If you open the same file on a computer with Win7, everything appears normal. If you open the same file on a computer that shipped with Win10, everything appears normal. But we upgraded 4 machines to Win10, and on all of those machines, if you open it the symbol goes haywire.

It seems to be for anything that uses mtext, mtext, mleaders, dimensions, etc. Single line text appears to be fine.

It seems to only be for the diameter symbol, other symbols (degrees, centerline, etc) all seem fine.

It's not specific to any version of autocad. I tried it in 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, and 2019, and got the same results in all versions.

If I go into the text editor, and Ctrl+A, and change the font to Arial, then the text all comes back together. I can then change it back to Tahoma, and it is fine, but if you look at it the diameter symbol is still shown as Arial, not Tahoma.

Changing the text style to Arial prevents it from happening on anything new added, but doesn't fix the existing ones. You have to go into each piece of text and select that diameter symbol and change the font to Arial.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled AutoCAD with no change.

I've reinstalled the Tahoma font which i got the file from one of our computers which doesn't have the problem. I wondered if some of the font files had been corrupted on the windows 10 upgrade. Nothing changed.

I got curious about what would happen with a diameter dimension. It works fine. If you explode that dimension, Autocad created the diameter symbol using Arial Font, even though the text style we have selected for the dim style uses tahoma font. This is on both my machine which has the problem, and others who don't.

Our client wants us to use Tahoma font as that is their standard.

Has anyone else ever experienced anything similar? Or does anyone have anything else to suggest trying? At this point I'm baffled. The only thing I can think of is to format the workstations, and install windows 10 from scratch, and just hope that that fixes it. Not ideal. I could try to tell all the drafters to use Unicode for the diameter symbol, or use Arial font when typing %%C, but that seems like a band-aid solution and not likely to be followed 100%.
    Don't resist; WARNING WILL ROBINSON DANGER; we had one computer update to 10, have had nothing but problems. nothing else will be updated

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by CCarleton View Post
    I'm not seeing this issue.

Another fix would be to use alt+0216, but the symbols are not the same so that may not be what you want. Personally that's all I've ever done for unique symbols like diameter or degrees.
    Yes, the unicode works fine, and is actually how I prefer to do it, but our client uses some proprietary software they developed to pull the bill of materials from each print out, and into their business software, and for whatever reason windows unicode characters lock that up, and prevent it from running. For now, we have someone who doesn't have the issue running our pdf's for release. We send pdf for the client to print from, and dwg for their data extraction.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by remi678731 View Post
    Don't resist; WARNING WILL ROBINSON DANGER; we had one computer update to 10, have had nothing but problems. nothing else will be updated
    Agreed, so far we're 4/4 having issues. At first we had problems with our networked drives not mapping on boot, now this, all on the ones that were updated from 7 to 10.

The workstations we have that came with windows 10 though, haven't had any problems with whatsoever.

Login to Give a bone

I was randomly browsing this topic (first day back at work :/). I haven't had any issues using Tahoma for the %%c in win 10, it could be an issue with whatever version of Tahoma the original data was prepared with? but it is a proprietary MS font since '95.

When it incorrectly writes the %%c is it writing it based on a 0,0 co-ordinate as an origin? or does it appear random in the displacement from the intended text?

I've encountered similar issues to what you're describing with the font defaulting to a different one, but only if the symbol didn't appear in the font table, maybe they used something like lower case phi instead of 0 slash?

Have you tried re-downloading tahoma.ttf from MS? I'm not sure if upgrading retains anything from pre-win10, but if your pc's with win 10 that haven't been upgraded aren't experiencing the issue I suspect that it might.

GL

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by MajorWedgee View Post
    We just updated some of our computers from Windows 7 x64 to Windows 10 x64.
    As a general statement, we would never upgrade an O/S on an existing PC. We moved from Win7 to Win10 thru PC upgrades, retiring the Win7 boxes and pushing out the new Win10 boxes as replacements were due.

Having said that, we now have hundreds of Win10 boxes running AutoCAD/Civil 3D and I have not see any of these issues with the fonts.
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by rkmcswain View Post
    As a general statement, we would never upgrade an O/S on an existing PC. We moved from Win7 to Win10 thru PC upgrades, retiring the Win7 boxes and pushing out the new Win10 boxes as replacements were due.

Having said that, we now have hundreds of Win10 boxes running AutoCAD/Civil 3D and I have not see any of these issues with the fonts.
    I agree with RK. I wouldn't trust a work pc to an upgrade. If you want to use the same box, reformat the hd and install a full version of Win 10.
    C:> ED WORKING....

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by sorourke765462 View Post
    I was randomly browsing this topic (first day back at work :/). I haven't had any issues using Tahoma for the %%c in win 10, it could be an issue with whatever version of Tahoma the original data was prepared with? but it is a proprietary MS font since '95.

When it incorrectly writes the %%c is it writing it based on a 0,0 co-ordinate as an origin? or does it appear random in the displacement from the intended text?

I've encountered similar issues to what you're describing with the font defaulting to a different one, but only if the symbol didn't appear in the font table, maybe they used something like lower case phi instead of 0 slash?

Have you tried re-downloading tahoma.ttf from MS? I'm not sure if upgrading retains anything from pre-win10, but if your pc's with win 10 that haven't been upgraded aren't experiencing the issue I suspect that it might.

GL
    It's not putting the diameter at 0,0, it seems to be random. I just tested one, and it put it at approximately +1.6 billion feet in the X. Y is unaffected. On another I did, it went -x, on another +X. It doesn't seem to follow any pattern. I couldn't find it in the drawing, but it is negative X, by some large distance.

I did try uninstalling tahoma, and reinstalling it, but no change.

I haven't tried working on this for a little bit, we've been doing some server & network changes, and working those bugs out. And we're still able to send out our dwgs using the computers we have that still have win 7 or the ones that shipped with windows 10. The plan is for our IT guy to wipe the hdd and reinstall win 10 from scratch this weekend and see if that works. If so, that's how we'll be doing the rest of our pc's that have 7 installed

Login to Give a bone

Reinstalling windows 10 from scratch appears to have fixed the issue. Something about upgrading it from 7 to 10, autocad didn't like.