Thread: DUPLICATING MATERIAL SHOULD DUPLICATE THE MATERIAL ASSET AT THE SAME TIME

Wish List Administration

Default DUPLICATING MATERIAL SHOULD DUPLICATE THE MATERIAL ASSET AT THE SAME TIME

Summary: In the material browser, when you right click a material to duplicate it, you should have an option to Duplicate Material & Material Asset.

Description: In the material browser, when you right click a material to duplicate it, you should have an option to Duplicate Material & Material Asset.
    Quite often I will duplicate the material, then forget to click the (what seems to be redundant) little "duplicate material asset" button, which then will change the original material and I'll have to go back and do it all over again.

If I am duplicating a material, why would I ever want it to have the same material assets?
    Please at least add that option when right clicking the material within the browser.

Thanks,

Product and Feature: Revit Architecture - Other

Submitted By: pwmurdoch643401 on 01/09/2019

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar

Default Re: DUPLICATING MATERIAL SHOULD DUPLICATE THE MATERIAL ASSET AT THE SAME TIME

Duplicating an Asset is ideally less common than doing so for a Material. If I have four kinds of carpet in a project I'll need four materials called Carpet XXX and each will use a different Appearance Asset. I'll duplicate the first Carpet material but instead of duplicating the Asset I'll swap the existing one for a different one, choosing one from the available assets. In a perfect world I just reuse Assets and assign them to materials as each project requires.

Default Re: DUPLICATING MATERIAL SHOULD DUPLICATE THE MATERIAL ASSET AT THE SAME TIME

Yep voting this one up, I often accidentally overwrite a material that I don't mean to. I don't think materials behaved this way a few versions back, the new way has been painful.