See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tool palette tabs - shared and read only

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default tool palette tabs - shared and read only

I have set up our company tool palettes so that I have full access to modify the tools via permissions set on our server. I have set myself with all permissions and the other user's group name to limited permissions. What I would like to do is have one of the tabs on our palette available for all user's to add blocks etc. to. I figured this could easeily be accomplished by setting the permissions on the tab's .atc file to allow this. However, I am not having any luck.

Is it possible to do what I am trying?

Thanks,

Jason

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: tool palette tabs - shared and read only

Hi Jason

Please note I've *moved* this thread from the CAD Mgmt. General Forum to this one as I feel this particular Forum is a more appropriate place for such a topic.

Thanks, Mike

Forum Moderator

Login to Give a bone

I don't think so.

Login to Give a bone

Yes... sort of,

Our CAD mgr. just instituted this from something we learned at CAD Camp... It was "The Productivity Power of Palettes REVEALED!" by Matt Murphy. So all the credit goes to him and CAD Camp.

You must be running Acad `05 or later or `04 with pallet extensions.

The short and sweet of it is to create two pallets (or more) one that you have locked for users to share out on your network, and one that is located in a personal directory for the user (network or local) that the user can edit.

We then created a toolbar button for each of the palettes with the macros below:

^C^C*_TOOLPALETTEPATH "J:/Share/Tool Palettes/Alkar";tp; (our shared network palette)

^C^C*_TOOLPALETTEPATH "C:/My Menu/Tool Palettes";tp; (the users personal palette)

Now the users can flip back and forth between their personal palette and the Locked-Shared network one easily.

Next using the newer features of the palettes, right click 'customize' each of the palettes dragging the toolbar button onto the pallet to link it to one of the other palettes. Then close the customize window. Now the users can 'flip' between palettes right from the button on the palette.

Sorry if this doesn't make sense I'll try to explain it better If I was not clear, Just let me know.

I just wanted to let you know that there was a way to accomplish what you were asking.

Mikka

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Thanks for your response. I think I'm after something different. I have in place something similar to what you describe which I did by having two paths in the tool palette locations in the options dialog box (one to the server, the other to the local drive). I have shared toolpalettes on the server, and if users want to add their own, they can and they will be saved to their hard drives.

What I am after is to is have one of our 17 shared palettes available for users to write/delete to, while the other 16 are protected from user's writing/deleting to.

The problem I have found is that the root folder (on the server) that holds the palette library needs to be shared with all users in order for the lock to not appear. I have tried setting the individual palette.atc files to allow users write/delete permissions, but unless the folder that contains them also has these permissions, the lock appears. In other words, it's all or nothing.

But if anyone has other ideas, I'd really like to be able to do this.

Thanks,

Jason

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by AcadUG
    Now the users can flip back and forth between their personal palette and the Locked-Shared network one easily.
    Mikka,

I am implementing this exact thing in my office, also thanks to Matt Murphy and AUGI CAD Camp.

I do have a question though, your personal palette path is on the C: drive and not related to a user’s roaming profile. I know it’s been a while since the last post but does anyone know how to direct the path to a folder within the user’s roaming profile? Would I need to use lisp with something like this:
    Code:
    (strcat (getvar "ROAMABLEROOTPREFIX"))

Thanks,

Login to Give a bone

Question Re: tool palette tabs - shared and read only

Quote Originally Posted by jpduhon
    <SNIP>

I do have a question though, your personal palette path is on the C: drive and not related to a user’s roaming profile. I know it’s been a while since the last post but does anyone know how to direct the path to a folder within the user’s roaming profile? Would I need to use lisp with something like this:
    Code:
    (strcat (getvar "ROAMABLEROOTPREFIX"))
    Hi

Do you mean something like...

Code:
    ^C^C*_ToolPalettePath;(getvar "RoamableRootPrefix");
    Have a good one, Mike

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Perry
    Do you mean something like...
    that dog'll hunt.

thanks, mike.

you know, one of these days this will all just click for me... i hope.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Using the following code provided by Mike, ^C^C*_ToolPalettePath;(getvar "RoamableRootPrefix");
    for me returns the following path:
    C:\Documents and Settings\jason\Application Data\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2007\R17.0\enu
    But the entire path to the toolpalette is: C:\Documents and Settings\jason\Application Data\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2007\R17.0\enu\Support\ToolPalette

So how did you get the \Support\ToolPalette appended? Did you write a lisp to string concatinate the two or is there an easier way?

Thanks,

Jason

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jkipfer
    Using the following code provided by Mike, ^C^C*_ToolPalettePath;(getvar "RoamableRootPrefix");
    for me returns the following path:
    C:\Documents and Settings\jason\Application Data\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2007\R17.0\enu
    But the entire path to the toolpalette is: C:\Documents and Settings\jason\Application Data\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2007\R17.0\enu\Support\ToolPalette

So how did you get the \Support\ToolPalette appended? Did you write a lisp to string concatinate the two or is there an easier way?
    Hi

You could use the AutoLISP strcat function eg

Code:
    ^C^C*_ToolPalettePath;(strcat (getvar "RoamableRootPrefix") "Support\\ToolPalette");
    Have a good one, Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast