Thread: Layer Management

Login to Give a bone

Default Layer Management

I have done a search of past threads and what I am looking for is reference or insight on layer management. We are an Architectural firm that does some of our projects in phases lasting for up to two or three years between phases. The architect in charge does some of the work himself and he gives some of the work to drafters as needed. Bottom line is there is no continuity of one or two people on the job.

The architect has noticed that lately layers are turned of or not visible when plotting different sheets at different times. I have done a little work with Express Tools - Layer Manager, Layer Groups, and snapshots in the Layer Dialog. These drawing are of the old variety having no 3d properties or 3d blocks. Has anybody come up with a system of layer managing using one or all of the tools above?

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Layer Management

Firstly, I recommend that you follow the National CAD Standards (NCS) for your work. This would, among other things, get everyone on the same page. And yes, the NCS does allow for phasing of elements.

Given your use of legacy files, there are a couple of ways you could approach the visible layers issue.

1) Through the layer manager create filters or layer states for the various stages of issue.

2) In the sheet files take advantage of the tabs. Create a tab for each phase, each with its own layer/plotting settings. To me, this would be preferable, because it also keeps the title block information current.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

We use layouts for each print we need. When plotting we thaw all layers the layers are freeze in the viewports if not needed to be plotted for that print. If you work in the viewports not Model tab. only time you need to freeze and thaw layer is when you add a layer to the drawing then you need to freeze that layer in all viewports that the layer will not be display in (we use a VBA program that will freeze layers in viewports of layout my selecting the layout form a list). I think this is the best way to work. We use on/off for layers that change for the over all drawing. The layer management is only use in setting up the viewports at the start.

Login to Give a bone

Hi James,
    I work in an Architectural firm also and we have the same issue. Here is how we use the layer manager to solve the problem.
    First, use the AIA recommended layering system A-1111-2222-3333, where the numbers are place holders for example. A-WALL-DEMO. You can download a list of AIA layer standards on the web.
    Second determine if you are going to have multiple sheets in one file or 1 sheet per file. What this means is some firms will have all the plan views in one file (like the construction plan, rcp, power & signal etc.) and use the layer manager to freeze and thaw the layers needed to view each plan, creating a layer state for each that can be restored when needed. Then you can use Paperspace tabs (one for const. plan another for rcp etc.) with a titleblock in each tab with different titles for each plan. Then restore the layer state needed (in Paperspace) then plot.
    If you use a separate file for each type of plan, you then can xref the base plan (construction plan for example) into the other files (rcp for example) and use layer manager to show and hide layers as described above. you can have the rcp layers in the rcp file and freeze the xref layers you do not want to show.

However you do it, the key is to have a standard layering system that everyone must use and set-up standard layer states that no one should overwrite (except maybe the CADD Manager).

Hope this helps.
    Good Luck,
    Steve