Thread: Wooden elements inside steel frame structure

Login to Give a bone

Default Wooden elements inside steel frame structure

Hi all,
    At the office we finally took the first steps in using Revit instead of Autocad.

Now the first questions are popping up.

We have a steel structure, made with IPE profiles. Main column, horizontal and sloped Beam are made from steel.

To be able to support the façade, I will need to place lumber inside the steel supports.

Now I was able to get this result, but I did this using wooden beams and columns.
    This means I have a wooden beam inside a steel beam.

Is this the correct way to model these kind of wooden frames. I know about existance of a wooden frame using mullions, but the wooden elements arent exactly on the Same place all the time.

Hope i explain myself clear.
    If not, please ask...

Thank you

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Wooden elements inside steel frame structure

Just to be clear, I added a segment of my model in attachment.

Ofcourse, the brown/ornage peeces are all the timber used and constructed as columns and beams.
    Even in between the triangles of the roof I constructed these as beams and columns.

It took me a lot of time, so I'm sure there must be an easyer way.
    Also when using shedules/quantities, they will show up as beams and colums (WOOD) but they just need to show up as timber used to support the facade.

Hopefully the picture explains a thing or two.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Hello cad_user!
    It appears that you need the wood to act as "blocking" to attach to, correct?

I think what you've done is ok but agree probably not preferred. Consider choosing member sizes that fit within the area of the web and outside flanges.
    If you do this a lot and and don't want to use standard lumber sizes, you can load wood columns and framing members, and create custom sizes for the wood infills that just sit on the outside of the steel (vs inside the steel members).
    You "edit type", duplicate (with some name that makes sense), change the dimension properties to fit the condition to fit inside the steel flanges.
    (see screen shot)

You can also filter out the wood members from schedules, maybe even using the description "blocking" or similar.

That is my quick take on this and what I would do.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

If that's how it's built, then that's how you have to model it. I don't see a problem with it.

You could model a single column or beam that has the wood and steel elements, but that may create even more problems if there's a need for a lot of detail in the model pieces or if the pieces are not very typical or repetitive.

You could also nest a wood column family into the steel family. You can turn the wood on and off separately with visibility controls, you could add ref planes to control them independently of the steel column, etc.

The effort to model all the pieces accurately is enormous, especially for just starting to use Revit. The trick is to find the level of detail that will satisfy your needs with the least effort.

The nested wood column (nailer) could be an Architectural Column or Generic Model if you want to model them that way.
    Screenshot 2024-02-22 114533.png
    Last edited by bt.commenter343255; 2024-02-23 at 02:31 AM.