Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Laptop for Revit - Any recommendations

All AUGI, all the time christo4robin's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Laptop for Revit - Any recommendations

I'm looking at getting a new laptop. I'm thinking of the Dell 9300 or XPS, and wondering if anyone out there has strong feelings for machines y'all are already using.

Thanks!

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Laptop for Revit - Any recommendations

I am using a HP compaq nx9500. It is great because it has the processing speed of a desktop and the screen is almost the same size too

17" widescreen monitor
    3.4GHz processor
    1 Gig of RAM
    128 MG video card
    100Gig HD
    DVD burner
    media card reader
    harman/kardon speaker system

I have been very satisfied with this machine. We are looking into getting anotherone similar to this, for some reason now the number is nx9600 i believe the quote we just got was for $2,300

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

I did forget to mention that it is a monster of a laptop though. It is large and somewhat heavy. for my purposes it works great. But if you were expecting to use it on planes or in airports it is a bit unwieldy. I use it at my desk in the office and take it home often. When I go to occational client meetings it is not bad, I don't need true mobility.

If I did travel more I would want a smaller machine.

Revit Arch. Wishlist Mgr. Wes Macaulay's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Well, I've got a Dell 5160 (which is just out of production). It's a P4 3.06 Ghz with 1.5Gb RAM, and it's not particularly portable, or it's painfully portable, if you will.

I'm not too keen on the Centrino or M processors at this point because a colleague got a 1.8 Ghz Centrino and my P4 is quite a lot faster: so the Centrino clock speed rule (Centrino x 1.6 = P4) vs P4 doesn't seem to hold.

Since Dell only sells the P4 in the XPS (total overkill for Revit) I'd probably buy a Toshiba next time.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Check out the HP zd8000.

I have just purchased one and it crunches through Revit no problem. The 17" screen is brilliant for working in a few views all at once. The keyboard has a separate numeral pad which makes input easier.

I have a 3.2 P4 processor with 1 gig RAM model with 256mb PCI graphics (zd8185) but I understand that you guys in the US can configure your components online.

Intrestingly, the processor can be removed and upgraded in the future.

I also use the built-in bluetooth to connect a MS wirreless bluetooth mouse which works really well.

I had a look at the Dell models, but they were much more expensive for a similar (or even inferior) spec.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Macaulay
    I'm not too keen on the Centrino or M processors at this point because a colleague got a 1.8 Ghz Centrino and my P4 is quite a lot faster: so the Centrino clock speed rule (Centrino x 1.6 = P4) vs P4 doesn't seem to hold.
    huh, cause I just went from a Sager 4080 laptop (P4 3.0 Ghz HT with a Gig of Ram) to a Dell Precision M70 (Centrino 2.2 Ghz with two gigs of Ram) and other than being very slightly slower at rendering it's faster in every way than the Sager, while also being more portable and *not* making everyone think I've got a dustbuster at my desk because of the fans...

But I'm very happy with the Centrino so far.

All AUGI, all the time mlgatzke's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Chris,

I'm using a Dell XPS and love it. Mine has the P4 3.2Ghz with 2GB of RAM, the UXGA widescreen, a dvd burner, and the upgraded video. It rocks. It still has one of the highest Revit benchmarks on the list . . . and mine is a year old already. It has been a wonderful machine for me. Also, it's faster than any clients' machines when I visit them in their office.

Other people here may dislike Dell or say that other machines are better, but my Dell machines (and I've had around 60 of them - no, I'm not kidding) have been rock solid and fast.

The only thing I might recommend is that you look at their M90 notebook. It's not quite a fast, not quite as flashy looking, but it's more solid and lighter weight.

Jeff, that could be because the M90 is a Precision workstation architecture which is built specifically for CAD and 3D modeling. Heck, even the bios is custom modified for this purpose. Just think how much faster a P4 would operate.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by mlgatzke
    Jeff, that could be because the M90 is a Precision workstation architecture which is built specifically for CAD and 3D modeling. Heck, even the bios is custom modified for this purpose. Just think how much faster a P4 would operate.
    Actually, I'm thinking about how much faster dual Opterons would be.

Depending on how things go, with this new job, which gave me the new laptop, I'm thinking I'll sell my Sager and put the money toward a new home dual Opteron rendering box.

Thanks for the tip about the thing being custom for CAD, I didn't know that. Not really up to speed with what Dell has to offer. Again, I didn't pick this laptop, but am pleasantly surprised at how well it's working so far.

All AUGI, all the time mlgatzke's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Yep, Dell designs the Precision line specifically for CAD and 3D modeling. All parts are chosen and certified specifically for that purpose. Just thought you'd appreciate knowing.

Revit Arch. Wishlist Mgr. Wes Macaulay's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey McGrew
    huh, cause I just went from a Sager 4080 laptop (P4 3.0 Ghz HT with a Gig of Ram) to a Dell Precision M70 (Centrino 2.2 Ghz with two gigs of Ram) and other than being very slightly slower at rendering it's faster in every way than the Sager, while also being more portable and *not* making everyone think I've got a dustbuster at my desk because of the fans...

But I'm very happy with the Centrino so far.
    Yeah - we only have the option of Dells in my office and I didn't want the XPS -- it's even more of a beast than the 5160 -- and I did have a budget to work within. The Centrinos are a lot more buck for the same bang.

And yeah, it sounds like it's going to fly right off the desk when it's working hard... thought it's not as noisy as the 5150's some of our other guys have. Not to mention the horrible motherboard problems those things had. Arrgh

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast