Thread: To Civil 3D or not to Civil 3D

0 Did you find this post helpful? Yes

Default To Civil 3D or not to Civil 3D

Sorry this is long and confusing. I'm working this out in my mind as I type.....

I've been receiving my 2006 shipments in the mail over the course of the past week or two, and am in a dilema in deciding what I want to install this time around. So far I've received:

Civil 3D 2006 (which includes the Civil 3D 2006 - Land Desktop Companion)
    Civil 3D - Civil Design Companion 2006
    Survey 2006

Now I'm sure all of my product hasn't been shipped yet, since it doesn't look like Survey 2006 is part of the Civil 3D family. My initial thought was that perhaps Autodesk replaced LDD with 3D this year, but after further reading I see that isn't the case. So I'm still waiting for LDD 06 to arrive before I start my upgrade from Civil Series 2004.

This leads to my dilema. I never got around to installing or learning the 05 version of LDD/Civil 3D and planned to just wait for this years release instead. Now that I've received 2006 and plan to upgrade, I'm leaning toward migrating to using 3D since it will eventually replace LDD altogether. But after reading the "readme" pages included with the CD cases, I'm confused as to what I actually need to install.

From my reading, it appears the LDD Companion and Civil Design Companion discs that accompany the Civil 3D package are intended for those who are still learning to use the product. I'm not sure exactly what these are and what they do.

So once my LDD 2006 arrives I figure will be loading that and the Civil 3D package on my computer. Should I install the Companion products as well?

On the Civil Design Companion readme page it says, "Autodesk Civil 3D - Civil Design Companion requires either LDD 06 or Civil 3D - LDD Companion 2006 products." So far so good. I can install the familiar LDD package and also learn the Civil 3D package as time permits.

Then on the Civil 3D 06 readme page it says, "You can opt to install either Civil 3D component, the Civil 3D - LDD Companion component, or both components on your computer." So far so good again. I can have them both installed and use the LDD Component with them, but I'm not exactly sure what that is used for. Or can I?

But here's where it gets tricky. On the same readme it then says, "You cannot install Civil 3D - LDD Companion component and a full commercial license of LDD on the same computer."

So if I'm reading this correctly, I need to choose whether to run EITHER the full LDD with Civil 3D and the Civil Design Companion, OR just Civil 3D by istelf with both companion components. Is this correct?

What exactly does the Civil 3D - LDD Companion component do and how would running that in lieu of the full LDD package be of benefit?

Default Re: To Civil 3D or not to Civil 3D

Bueller? anyone?

Ok, thanks for the help guys but this is now resolved.

I called my reseller to order an additional seat and asked her about it. It appears the Civil Series subscription (which I have) went to Civil 3D 2006 this year, and the standard LDD sub will ship LDD 06. So that means I have all the software I'm going to get.

She assured me the Civil 3D 2006 - Land Desktop Companion will provide a familiar comfort zone until I'm comfortable using the civil 3d system. I hope so.

Mike,

I have done the same thing as you, (skipped the 2005 release) and have everyone working on Civil Series 2004. In your installation of the new Civil 3D and Civil Companion, you mentioned that you could not install the new software on a machine with a full commercial license of LDD. Does that mean if we install Civil 3D, we need to delete the Civil Series 2004? I believe there was in insert in the new Civil 3D software that said you could continue to use older versions of the software if you maintained a subscription (which we do). Please advise.

Jay McGinn, P.E.

Jay,

The exact quote from the insert in the Civil 3D 2006 case says, "You cannot install Autodesk Civil 3D - Land Desktop Companion and a full commercial license of Autodesk Land Desktop on the same computer."

I take this to mean you can't install it in conjunction with any previous version of LDD. I'm not sure why this is the case. I did install the software yesterday on an extra computer for testing purposes, and it did not have LDD installed on it previously. From what I can tell, the LDD Companion 2006 is actually a full version of Land Desktop as opposed to a "plugin" that I originally thought it to be. Maybe that explains it. You could probably install Civil 3D without the LDD Companion on a computer with an older verions of LDD and not have a problem.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by jmcginn
    Mike,

I have done the same thing as you, (skipped the 2005 release) and have everyone working on Civil Series 2004. In your installation of the new Civil 3D and Civil Companion, you mentioned that you could not install the new software on a machine with a full commercial license of LDD. Does that mean if we install Civil 3D, we need to delete the Civil Series 2004? I believe there was in insert in the new Civil 3D software that said you could continue to use older versions of the software if you maintained a subscription (which we do). Please advise.

Jay McGinn, P.E.