Thread: Data Shortcuts

Login to Give a bone

Default Data Shortcuts

Is anyone else here having trouble with creating a data shortcut to a profile in 2006?

Short cuts to surfaces and alignments are working fine.

The help system states that in order use create a short cut for a profile you need to also create a short cut to its alignment. The alignment I used for the profile is a short cut provided from another drawing so it is avalable and is linked to the drawing I'm trying to link the profile into.

Does the alignment and profile short cut need to originate from the same drawing?
    Last edited by MMccall.83699; 2005-05-09 at 08:51 PM.

Civil Engineering Moderator MHultgren's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Data Shortcuts

I would think it would need to be in the same file. You cannot edit a profile from another file but you can edit the alignment that created it. I think it has to do with the Attribute that is set when you create the profile and not being able to autoupdate it (yet).

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Data Shortcuts

I spoke with my tech support people about this. They were able to reproduce the situation and had the same issue. The issue stems from the XML file that stores the link information. The name of the drawing file that produced the link is hard coded into the XML file. So apparently the profile link needs a unique alignment link back to the same drawing file that produced the profile link.

I've had some odd behavior while using data links. Sometimes when I open a file that has xsections, created from alignment and surface links, initially all the sections look fine, a second later one group of sections loses all surface display. I figured out that I need to revalidate the surface link even though it was validated when I opened the file. This is not a good thing if I want automate sheet plotting using the sheet set manager. I've also had my session shut down while I had three files open and it disconnected all the drawings from the project

For now I'm going to discontinue or limit the use of data shortcuts. It doesn't feel very stable and its probably too much management for the size of my projects.