Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flat Roof Problems.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Flat Roof Problems.

I enjoy the architecture of "Rudolph Michael Schindler!" greatly.

And I´m finally finishing 3 villa projects that are influenced by his style in a way.
    Are we not all influenced by something

But after many hours of design, I feel the time has come for more practical work.
    I will be very grateful if someone in this forum could lead me in the right direction, regarding flat roofs/leakage problems.

I´m gonna fix this problem before building is final, but why invent the weel 2 times.
    Is anyone in this forum familiar with long term problems regarding flat roofs?

Edit: Moved to this forum, as not a Revit question.
    Last edited by beegee; 2005-05-14 at 12:38 AM.

I could stop if I wanted to Lashers's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Flat Roof Problems.

Do you have any idea what roof construction you will be using? Concrete/timber/steel? They each have different problems - generally, workmanship is the primary cause for leaks, then there is damage by following trades.

Long term a good flat roof "if done properly" should last you 15 to 30 years without major repair or refurbishment - but first you need to decide your general requirements regarding construction . . . for all I know you may be wanting a grassed roof?? now they are fun, and a technical nightmare!

I will look up RMS his name is familiar but I have never seen any of his work.

Catch you laters

Login to Give a bone

I don't know how much money your client has to spend, but if you are looking for superior quality and durability, Hydrotech offers some excellent roofing solutions.

http://www.hydrotechusa.com/

Then again if you can't afford the Lexus of roofing products you can always go with a standard built-up asphalt roof. The only advice I have there is to keep your slopes to a minimum of 1/2" per foot. I have spoked with many roofers and roofing consultants who claim that the common standard of 1/4" per foot just doesn't cut it in the real world.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks´s for the feedback Lashers /Scoot, I´m looking for both cheap and expensive solutions, since I´m involved in several projects.

All of the roofs should be as flat as possible though.

Is this an alternative perhaps!
    http://www.everest.co.uk/flatroofs/flat_roofs.cfm

I´ll post some images in the gallery when I´m more relaxed, for now I need to deliver final drawings on older projects .

Login to Give a bone

" for all I know you may be wanting a grassed roof?? now they are fun, and a technical nightmare!"

Well! that´s my next project
    On a cliff hovering 12m over the sea, with sunset view.

The clients are already stretched from a classic home to modern design, so adding grass to the roof will need nice renders.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by knurrebusk
    " for all I know you may be wanting a grassed roof?? now they are fun, and a technical nightmare!"

Well! that´s my next project
    On a cliff hovering 12m over the sea, with sunset view.

The clients are already stretched from a classic home to modern design, so adding grass to the roof will need nice renders.
    YOU'RE EVIL!! Why are you having all the fun jobs!! ha ha ha . .I just saw the render in the gallery . .so ignore my comment re where you are . .

Regarding the flat roof construction - I can recommend TROCAL (single ply membrane) I have used them many times and always had excellent service. This will allow you to have the roof structure of any material and keep it near flat. I can dig up my contact info if you like, I also have some "floppies" around with details if you want me to post a CD?

Cheers

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Lashers
    YOU'RE EVIL!! Why are you having all the fun jobs!! ha ha ha . .I just saw the render in the gallery . .so ignore my comment re where you are . .

Regarding the flat roof construction - I can recommend TROCAL (single ply membrane) I have used them many times and always had excellent service. This will allow you to have the roof structure of any material and keep it near flat. I can dig up my contact info if you like, I also have some "floppies" around with details if you want me to post a CD?

Cheers

Great! That just saved me many hours of work
    Since most of my current projects need a roof as flat as possible with a slim look to it.
    I think I found their website www.sika.com

Login to Give a bone

Yea, I forgot that Sika had bought them out! Mind you, I won't be giving Sika any awards for web site clarity and ease of use!

Let me know if/when you want the details.

Login to Give a bone

I spent 10 min just to confirm they delivered the product I was looking for!

I talked to my client today ,and he was positive.
    If you could post the details this weekend I would appreciate it very much!

I `ll try to return the favour!

I`m under a bit of pressure in another project (terrace apartments), and need to be solid in my statements concerning flat roofs/leakage/structural ability etc.

Also need to make integrated parking space on the same steep site. with limited access.
    Think I´ll just ask a friend that is into Rhino for some assistance, problem is that this work will be useless in further development of the property.

Seems like I´m looking into trouble!, I know curved/sloped roads/curbs is Revit's weak side.
    Revit really needs better site tools!!

I feel like driving a BMW on bicycle weels when I try to plan a steep site

Login to Give a bone

If only life was easy!

I tend to take the attitude that " its better to have a work problem, rather than having no work at all"!! ha ha . . I hope you find your way through.

I have decided that if my clients aren't going to allow me to be adventurous, then I will have my own fantasy project . . . if only i could squeeze it in! I need to stretch the brain muscles regarding what Revit can and can't do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast