Thread: Managing PSI (Process Safety Information)

Login to Give a bone

Question Managing PSI (Process Safety Information)

Hello,

I work for a processing facility, and we up-keep a ton of equipment information about our process. We have to keep this information up to date for practical, safety, and regulatory reasons.

I, with the help of others, am responsible for keeping the P&ID's (Process and Instrumentation Diagrams) up to date, as well as all of the equipment database records, safety review information, design specifications, etc, etc, etc... (I am sure anyone who works for a similar company would see where I'm going with this).

The up-keep of this information can sometimes involve a lot of redundancy, and I was wondering if anyone out there may use AutoCAD to directly interface with an external database, for PSI (Process Safety Information), or other live data, or historical records.

I believe that all of our databases are of oracle (sp?) type, or at least can communicate on the oracle level. I am not a database guru. I spend a lot of time doing data manipulation within several different types of databases, and have had changes made to their interfaces to improve efficiencies and stuff, but I do not really know all of the ins and outs of the database world.

I know a little about using AutoCAD to create BOM's and such, but I think that what I am talking about is a bit deeper.

So, out with my questions:
    1. Can anyone offer any advice on what the level of complexity may be with getting Acad to talk to databases?

2. I would like to use the P&ID CAD file as the primary "Go-To" place for equipment information, safety information, etc. Is this even possible?

3. Is it possible to double-click an equipment block on a drawing, and have it pull live data out of a database to display, and possibly edit?

Any and all input will be valuable to me.

Thank you,
    Charlie

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Managing PSI (Process Safety Information)

You might want to check into Autodesk Map. Its a GIS system, but what you need doesn't sound too different that what us GIS people need. Map interfaces with several different kinds of databases including Oracle. You'll be able to query from Map any info you need from them.

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Managing PSI (Process Safety Information)

Quote Originally Posted by cmason View Post
    Hello,

I work for a processing facility, and we up-keep a ton of equipment information about our process. We have to keep this information up to date for practical, safety, and regulatory reasons.

I, with the help of others, am responsible for keeping the P&ID's (Process and Instrumentation Diagrams) up to date, as well as all of the equipment database records, safety review information, design specifications, etc, etc, etc... (I am sure anyone who works for a similar company would see where I'm going with this).

The up-keep of this information can sometimes involve a lot of redundancy, and I was wondering if anyone out there may use AutoCAD to directly interface with an external database, for PSI ( Information), or other live data, or historical records.

I believe that all of our databases are of oracle (sp?) type, or at least can communicate on the oracle level. I am not a database guru. I spend a lot of time doing data manipulation within several different types of databases, and have had changes made to their interfaces to improve efficiencies and stuff, but I do not really know all of the ins and outs of the database world.

I know a little about using AutoCAD to create BOM's and such, but I think that what I am talking about is a bit deeper.

So, out with my questions:
    1. Can anyone offer any advice on what the level of complexity may be with getting Acad to talk to databases?

2. I would like to use the P&ID CAD file as the primary "Go-To" place for equipment information, safety information, etc. Is this even possible?

3. Is it possible to double-click an equipment block on a drawing, and have it pull live data out of a database to display, and possibly edit?

Any and all input will be valuable to me.

Thank you,
    Charlie
    What GIS software is being used? Did you check into Autodesk Map?